Are you hosting a party for family or friends and want to do something epic and leave them speechless? If so, or you just love to BBQ like myself, this BACON WRAPPED PORK BELLY recipe is exactly what you need! It takes time to prepare and around 6 hours of smoke time. It’s not that bad when you actually think about low N slow cooks. The best thing is that it’s versatile, meaning you can have it as your main choice of protein for dinner or as an amazing appetizer.
Pork Belly is a boneless section of meat that is full of rich fatty flavor from the belly of the pig. It’s been very popular for many cultures like Hispanics, Chinese, Danish and Korea. They all have different methods but here in America, it is typically made as Pork Belly Burnt Ends. Let’s not forget that its also the cut of meat where bacon is made from. The difference is bacon is cured, smoked and then sliced. Let’s jump into the recipe.
Bacon-Wrapped Pork Belly
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne
- 1 tsp Ancho chile
- 2 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Southwest cinnamon sugar
- 1 tsp Turbinado sugar
- 1 cup Tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Soy
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Molasses
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1/2 tbsp Adobe chilli paste
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1 cup Water
- Prep all of your ingredients for your bacon wrapped pork belly. Meaning, measure out your portions for the dry rub (mentioned above) and have it ready to go. Also, have your wooden skewers in water and let them soak for about 1-2 hours. This will prevent them from burning.
- You want to make sure your pork belly has been out for a bit in room temp so it's not completely frozen, but you want it to be firm so you can slice the slab into 1" cubes. For this you will want them to be 1 1/2" or even 2" for the purpose of skewering them.
- Once you have them all sliced into cubes you want to season generously, all sides of the cubes. At this time you want to use 4-5 cubes per skewer. You want to skewer them by piercing through the fat cap.
- Now that you have all your Pork Belly on skewers you can wrap them in bacon. It typically took about 3 slices of bacon to have a completely wrapped skewed pork belly.
- Set your smoker while the wrapped pork belly skewers sit for about 20-30 mins. You want to set your smoker up at 225 degrees and smoke for 3-3 1/2 hours. At this mark bump your smoker up to 250. The total smoke time will be around 6 hours, make sure to check them by making sure they are probe tender. This means you can poke them with your meat probe and it will feel like you are poking a stick of soft butter. This is exactly what you are looking for.
- Forty mins before you are finished with the smoke you want to men your BBQ SAUCE, this is the fun part. Get a saucepan over medium heat and add Tomato paste, soy sauce, maple syrup, molasses, honey, adobe chilli paste, dijon mustard, brown sugar ( you can adjust this amount to your preference), Chili powder and cumin. You want to let this simmer for about 8 mins. Once it combines into a nice paste sauce texture you want to add 1/2 cup of water so you can thin it a bit. Let it go a few more mins and add another 1/2 cup for you can have a nice smooth sauce. The whole purpose of the water is to thin the sauce so it's not a paste.
- Sauce your bacon-wrapped pork belly skewers and let them go for about 10-15 mins. The sauce will set and not it's time you remove them and let them rest in a room temperature environment for 30 mins (ideally) before serving.