Today I bring you a recipe for Pork Belly Sandwiches that have a nice Jalapeño slaw to compliment the delicious tender and tasty Pork Belly. You will commonly find that Pork Belly is used for burnt ends, which is an amazing bbq experience itself. But this is typically in America and when you get outside of our culture you will find that there are many different ways to prepare this amazing cut of pork. Slow-cooked crackling, Roasted pork belly, Belly squares, Twice cooked Chinese pork and the Sandwich.
Let’s not forget that you can also make Bacon out of pork belly but the process of that is curing the pork belly properly and then slicing it into nice thin strips so you can fry them in the skillet. I thought I would include this little section in my blog just in case you didn’t know where bacon came from.
Now we are going to dive into the recipe.
Pork Belly Sandwich with a Jalapeño Slaw
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 bag Prepared Slaw
- 1 Jalapeno Seeded and Diced
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp Sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 3 cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 cup Avocado oil mayo
- 3/4 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 tsp Rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 can Chipotle pepper with adobo
- 1 tbsp White Sugar
- 2 tsp Dried parsley
- The first thing we are going to do is prepare our seasoning in its correct measurements. Once you have them portioned out then you can begin to prep your Pork Belly. You do this by making sure it's dry by using a paper towel. Once it is dry you want to use a knife to score the fat cap in a diamond pattern. This will allow the seasoning to be absorbed into the meat easier for more flavour.
- Now that your meat is scored and your seasoning is blended you want to use about a tablespoon of dijon mustard to spread across your pork belly as a binder. The binder will help the seasoning stick to the meat and when the meat begins to sweet it will draw the seasoning into the meat. Season your pork belly generously and let it sit for about 30 mins.
- During the 30 mins of the pork belly sitting in the seasoning, this is a great time for you to get your smoker fired up and let the temp rise to 250 degrees for a nice low and slow approach.
- Once your smoker hits the temp of 250 degrees then you can place your pork belly on the rack with an aluminum pan underneath to catch the fat drippings, with you can use for many things later. You are smoking your pork for about 3 1/2 hours or an internal temp of 175 before pulling it.
- Right after you get your pork on the smoker this is a good time to create your slaw. Mix all the above ingredients together from above and place in the fridge until its ready to be used.
- Also, at this time you can create your chipotle mayo. The same thing as the slaw besides you want to add all ingredients into a blender and blend well until it becomes a nice smooth paste. Now you can place it in a bottle in the fridge.
- Check your pork belly at the three-hour mark and once it is at 175 pull it and wrap it in butcher paper. Let it rest for one hour and then slice into nice thick strips and then sear them in a cast iron pan for 1 min and 30 seconds per side. This will had a nice crispy texture on the outside while the inside will be tender.
- After you sear off your pork belly strips go ahead and assemble your sandwich. Pork belly, Jalapeño slaw and then the chipotle mayo to top it off.
- Serve and enjoy!