Flank steak is a cut of beef taken from the abdominal muscles or lower chest of the cow, and I love to marinade flank steaks. They are one of the best cuts of beef because they can be utilized in many ways for different cuisines. Here I make an Asian inspired marinade and grill directly over blazing coals to get the perfect grilled flank steak.
Asian Marinated Flank Steak
- ¼ cup Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Mirin
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- 2 tbsp Sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp Siracha
- 1 inch Piece of ginger
- 4 cloves Garlic Chopped
- ¼ cup Green onions Chopped
- Trim unwanted fat off the flank steak and pat dry. Add all marinade ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisk together. Place the flank steak in a 1 gallon ziplock bag and pour the marinade in. Remove all the air and seal. Marinade for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Prep your onion and red bell pepper. You can roast them or just toss them into a cast iron with butter. Don’t start cooking until your flank steak is finished resting.
- Add butter and avocado oil into a cast-iron skillet and began to sauté the veggies. Once they are translucent salt and pepper and then you can place them to the side. Add them to the steak later.
- Add the steak to the grill, grilling directly over the hot coals. Flip every 2- 2/12 mins, depends on how hot the flame is. Keep a close eye on it. Total cook time should be 8-10 mins. Pull the steak at an internal temperature of 125 degrees and rest 5-6 mins.
- Slice into your steak, cutting against the grain, and top with the onions and red peppers.
- Enjoy the meal with friends and family!
EQUIPMENT USED IN THIS RECIPE
For more beef recipes, click the link below!
Should I marinate steak?
While steaks are absolutely delicious on their own, a marinade can take it to the next level! It will help flavor get deeper into the meat and depending on if you use citrus juice, the acid can help tenderize the meat.
What are the cuts of beef?
There are 8 cuts of steak! The names of these would be chuck, rib, loin, round, flank, short plate, brisket and shank. There are many different steaks and dishes that can come from these different cuts!
What is the best way to cook a steak?
This comes down to preference! There are many ways to cook a steak! You can pan-sear it, grill it or smoke it! I personally reverse sear a lot of my steaks! This is when you cook it to an internal temp of close to your desired temperature and then crank up the heat to sear it off and get it to your desired temperature! I have also seared them in a cast iron first and then finished them off on the grill! They all work! You just need to find what’s best for you!