Habanero Beer Cheese is an excellent topping for burgers, potatoes or whatever you like to add cheese to! A combination of some spicy cheese, lager beer, flour and whole milk will elevate your favorite cheesy dishes! Shoot, it would be great on pretzels or veggies too!
The cheese that I use was bought from my local grocery store but when it’s shredded and added together with the rest of the recipe you will be amazed! I used my beer cheese for this awesome Hasselback potato recipe, let get into it!
- 4-5 Large Hasselback potatoes
- 2 tbsp Butter unsalted
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 lb Ground chorizo
Habanero beer cheese
- 1 cup Habanero cheese shredded
- ½ Cup Lager Beer
- ¾ Cup Whole milk
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp Flour
- Start by prepping your potatoes, use two chopsticks and place them on the sides of the potatoes. Cut small thin slits into the potatoes as far as you can slice into it without going all the way through. Usually the chopsticks will prevent you cutting all the way through.
- Now that your potatoes are cut, this is why it's Called a hasselback potato, place them in a large bowl filled with cold water and a pinch of salt. Leave for 3-4 hours, this will draw the starch out of the taters.
- Now that the potatoes are finished in the water be sure to drain the water and dry the potatoes as best as you can. Melt down 2-4 tablespoons of butter and add 3 cloves of minced garlic. Mix and add to the potatoes and toss them. Add a pinch of salt and toss again.
- Have your smoker set at 400-425 degrees and place your potatoes in. You can have them in a cast iron skillet or in aluminum foil.
- After 1 hour and 30 mins check your potatoes. You want to make sure they are probe tender or an internal temp of 195 degrees. Once you are close, around 180 degrees plus you can make your chorizo in a skillet. This should only take 3-5 minutes and then top your hasselback potatoes with it.
- Now make your cheese sauce. Place a sauce pan on medium heat and add the butter and flour, whisk for a few minutes and then add the whole milk and beer. Let that mix together and form a nice consistency. After 2-3 mins go ahead and add your cup of cheese and whisk for a few more minutes. Your cheese sauce should be a nice thickish constancy.
- Pour this on top of your chorizo topped hasselback potatoes
- Serve and ENJOY!
Items used in This Recipe