Let’s face it, hash browns are the best breakfast item in the world! You can eat them plainly, add to a sandwich or even stuff them into a burrito. I love homemade hashbrowns and I wanted to share my recipe for a simple, crispy, golden delicious homemade hash brown! Let’s get to the recipe!
Crispy Golden Homemade Hash Browns
- 3 Whole russet potatoes
- 1 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 2 tsp Chili powder
- 2 tsp Mexican smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- Start off by peeling the potatoes and removing all the skin. Once this happens, parboil your potatoes until they are starting to become softened. Don’t boil to the point where they will just mash easily. Remove from the boiling water and let cool and dry off.
- Use a cheese grater and begin to grate the potatoes just like you would with cheese.
- Once they are all grated, get yourself a towel and place it into a larger bowl and put your grated potatoes into the towel. Now wrap them with the towel and squeeze/twist until all of the moisture is out.
- Place the grated potatoes into another mixing bowl and use your hand to separate the condensed ball you just formed. Now add the all-purpose flour, chili powder, Mexican smoked paprika, kosher salt, black pepper and dried oregano. Hand mix until it is nicely combined.
- Get a pot and fill it with cooking oil and bring it to a temperature of 325 degrees for frying.
- During this time hand form yourself the hash browns. I went with round patties because I decided to use them for an epic breakfast sandwich. You can form tater tots, oval-shaped hash browns or keep them loose and grill them on the griddle top. It’s what you prefer.
- Once formed and the oil is at 325 degrees, make sure to have all safety equipment for protection, and begin to fry. Only add 2 at a time. If you add too much at once it will shock the oil and not fry properly or they will become stuck together.
- Fry for 3-4 mins or until they are to your crispy desires.
- Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel for resting. Add a pinch of salt if needed.
- Serve and enjoy with family and friends!
Items Used in This Recipe