I love some sweet heat and this maple habanero chicken was the best. It’s very simple and will please anyone who has the opportunity to eat it. You can do this with any chicken you grill up. For me I went with drum legs but wow would it be amazing with chicken wings! Okay, let’s jump into the recipe!
Maple Habanero Chicken
- 8-10 Drum legs
- 1 tbsp Chili powder
- 1 tbsp Smoked paprika
- 2 tsp Black pepper
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
Maple Habanero Sauce
- 3 Habaneros Seeded
- 2 tbsp Chopped roasted bell peppers
- 3-4 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 cup Maple syrup
- ¾ cup Apple cider vinegar
- Pinch Salt
- Pinch Pepper
- Start off by prepping your drum legs and getting them in a large mixing bowl. Once in the mixing bowl use a binding agent. I sprayed duck fat on the drum legs and then tossed them a bit. Add the seasoning into a smaller mixing bowl, salt, pepper, chili powder and smoked paprika. Mix and season the drum legs, hand toss until they are seasoned well.
- Take 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and add to the bowl of drum legs. Mix well again and now fire up your bbq.
- Set your bbq up at 350 degrees with applewood chunks. Once the temp is set, place the drum legs on the grates and let them smoke. Flip at the halfway point, about 30 mins in.
- Once the drum legs are on the grill, get a little blender and add the Habanero, roasted bell pepper, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Blend for 60 seconds and pour into a saucepan.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and simmer for 2-4 minutes. Add the maple syrup and simmer for another 8-10 mins. Set to the side to cool off.
- Remove the drum legs at an internal temp of 165 degrees and place them in a larger mixing bowl. Add the sauce and toss.
- Plate and serve!
- Enjoy with family and friends!
EQUIPMENT USED IN THIS RECIPE
Did you enjoy these Maple Habanero chicken wings recipe? Click the link below for more chicken recipes!