I’ve made a decent amount of chili in my days and this Bison Chili Dog recipe is the best one to date! With winter being upon us and football seasoning at its peak, chili is one of the most common cooks happening. This recipe is perfect for any occasion and the kids even enjoyed them! Okay, let’s jump into the recipe!
Footlong Bison Chili Dogs
- 2 lbs Ground bison
- 2 tbsp Duck fat
- 1 large Sweet onion
- 2 cans Rotel roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 6oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 4oz can of Hatch Green Chilies
- 2 cups Beef broth
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Chipotle powder
- 2 tsp Cayenne
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 2 tbsp Mexican chili powder
- 2 tbsp Garlic powder
- 1 6 Pack of footlong hot-dogs
- 1 6 Pack of footlong hot-dog buns
- 2 cups Cotswold cheese
- Start off by setting your smoker up at 300 degrees. Once this temp hits get your dutch oven ready by adding two tablespoons of duck fat and the two pounds of ground bison, leave the bison in ping pong sized balls at first.
- Once the duck fat and the bison is in the dutch oven place it on the smoker and close the lid. Let it cook for about one hour. At the one hour mark, open the lid and chop up the bison and add the onion, two cans of rotel (roasted diced tomatoes), tomato sauce, hatch chili, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, kosher salt, chili powder, chipotle powder, cayenne, cinnamon, sugar, cumin, Mexican chili powder and garlic powder. Stir and mix the ingredients for a few mins. Close the lid and let simmer for one more hour and then lift the lid and stir.
- During the second hour of simmering, check the chili again and stir. Once the consistency is where you want it, remove the dutch oven (leaving the lid on) and then set your grill up for direct grilling.
- Get your coals nice and hot and then grill your footlong hot dogs. Once grilled, place them to the side and get your footlong buns ready.
- Build your bison chili footlong hot dog in this order (it’s pretty simple), add the footlong hot dog in the bun, add the chili (try to drain some of the juice) and then top with the cotswold cheese. Make sure it is grated off the block.
- Serve and enjoy with your family and friends!
Did you enjoy these footlong bison chili dogs? You’ll love my other pork recipes! Check them out below!
Items Used In This Recipe