Parmesan Herb Salmon Pinwheels sounds intense and intimidating, but let me be the first to tell you that this recipe is pretty simple with proper technique. The most important ingredient to make this a success is simply by using the center-cut fillet or you can leave the filler whole (like I did) and roll it up after you apply the parmesan herb mixture.
I used Alaskan King Salmon for this recipe, also called Chinook, but this is the largest species of Alaskan Salmon. A few positive nutrition perks is it has the highest oil content, which provides the highest amount of Omega-3 fatty acids. Don’t worry, there is a tremendous tasty flavor with every bite and it has a semi-soft texture.
This recipe is one that will be great for when you host or if you have a whole family sit-down dinner. There is a lot of high quality fish to go around and I would recommend you bring some serious eaters, you do not want to see any of this go to waste! Let’s get to the recipe!
Parmesan Herb Salmon Pinwheels
- 1 Whole Alaskan king salmon or any of your choice
- Olive oil for a binder
- Garlic lemon pepper seasoning
- 3-4 Lemons
Parmesan Herb Crust
- 1 block Softened cream cheese
- ½ cup Finely grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp Mayo
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Fresh dill chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 Whole lemon zested
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Mexican chili powder
- -Start off by prepping your salmon by removing the skin. One way to do this is by pouring hot water on the skin of the salmon and then removing it by using a paper towel to grip the skin and pulling it off (this seems to work well). Now place your salmon in the fridge.
- -Be sure to have room temp (soften) cream cheese and begin to make your parmesan herb crust mixture. Add the cream cheese in a larger mixing bowl with parmesan cheese, mayo, dijon mustard, fresh dill, rosemary, lemon zest, lemon juice and Mexican chili powder. At this time begin to mix together until it has combined nicely.
- -Fire up your smoker and set the temp to 325 with some apple wood chunks. Let the temp come up while you are prepping your Salmon.
- -Get the salmon out and pat dry with a paper towel. Now add some oil to the surface and season with the Garlic Lemon Pepper seasoning.
- -After seasoning your Salmon, get your Parmesan Herb mixture and layer it on the whole fillet in an even uniformed coating.
- -Begin at the smallest end of the Salmon and roll it up. Now cut the rolls into 2” thick rolls.
- -Slice your lemons and lay them on the bottom of your cast iron skillet, this is going to add some amazing flavors, and place the salmon rolls on top of them. Once they are in the skillet, use the remainder of the parmesan herb mixture and place it on top of each roll.
- -Place it in the smoker and let it roll for about 45 mins, be sure to check it around the 30 minute mark. You want the Salmon to be cooked thoroughly, 145 internal temperature.
- -Remove when the internal temp reaches 145 degrees, garnish with parsley and serve.
- -Enjoy with family and friends!
Parmesan Herb Salmon Pinwheels are a great way to show off your culinary skills and impress your guests. Not only do they taste great, but they’re also really easy to make. All you need is some salmon, herbs, cheese, and a few minutes of your time.
If you’re looking for an impressive dish that doesn’t require a lot of effort, then this recipe is definitely worth trying. So what are you waiting for? Give it a go!
Did you enjoy these Parmesan herb salmon pinwheels? Youll love my other fish recipes in the link below!
Items used in This Recipe