The simplest and easy recipes can be the tastiest and most enjoyable recipes you can make. This is what I was thinking when I made these Queso Sausage Cheese Stuffed Breakfast Dogs! The Queso Sausage is already made, I just had to cut them out of the casing and get my hands a little dirty.
My family loves breakfast, brunch or anything that is breakfast related for any meal, any time of the day! I love it because breakfast is on the cheaper side of things when it comes to food, yep I said it’s cheaper! Sometimes I wonder if this is why it’s so good to me, the fact it’s affordable makes me enjoy it that much more. Either way, breakfast can be quite boring if all you find yourself doing is cracking a few eggs on the skillet and pairing it with some toasted bread.
This is why I thought of the idea to have some fun and elevate my family’s breakfast experience. All I do is remove the queso sausage from its casing, stuff it with some cheese and then smoke them. If this is all you think I did, well, you are wrong! I had to pair them with my famous breakfast hash! Shoot, you can find yourself eating that alone!
Okay, let’s jump into the recipe!
Queso Sausage Cheese Stuffed Breakfast Dogs
- 2 Packs of five queso sausage links (Johnsonville makes them)
- 1 Pack of mozzarella string cheese
- Mexican Crema
- Chopped scallions
- 1 Pack of six brioche hot dog bun
- 1 bag Mini petite golden potatoes
- 1 Red bell pepper diced
- 1 Green bell pepper diced
- ½ Yellow onion diced
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp Natural oil
- 1 tbsp Unsalted butter
- Start off by prepping your Queso Sausage by removing it from the casing. Do this to both packs and place them into a container and hand mix for a few mins. From here, take a handful of the queso sausage and form it into the length of a hotdog and flatten it a bit, about a 1/4” thickness and put a ditch in the center, a mold for your Mozzarella cheese stick. Hand forge it together and form it into a round hot dog shape. Place it on parchment paper on top of a cutting board. Repeat this process until all of your ingredients are gone. Place it in the fridge for 25 minutes.
- From here begin to prep the Breakfast Hash ingredients by dicing your petite golden potatoes and then add them to a pot of cold water, for about 20 minutes. During the 20 minutes, prep all of your veggies and onion. Get a skillet over medium heat, about 375 degrees. Add oil and butter into the skillet and let them mix for a minute.
- Now, fire up the smoker and get the temp to 275-300 degrees. Once the temp hits, add the Queso Sausage Hot Dogs and let it smoke for 35-40 minutes.
- During the time your dogs are smoking, add the potatoes into the skillet (be sure they are patted dry) and let them cook for 5 minutes or so, now add the diced veggies and salt. Mix and cook for a few minutes and mix, repeat until the veggies are translucent and the potatoes are crispy or golden brown. Toss in a handful of Shredded Jack cheese and turn the burner as low as you can mix together.
- Check the dogs and at 165 internal temp remove them and place them on a wire rack for 6-8 minutes resting. During the resting time, add your buns to the smoker and toast them for 1 minute per side.
- Open the toasted buns and add the Queso Sausage cheese-stuffed hot dog and garnish with Crema and chopped scallions. Serve the Breakfast Hash and enjoy!
DID YOU ENJOY THIS Queso SAUSAGE CHEESE STUFFED BREAKFAST DOGS RECIPE? YOU’LL LOVE MY OTHER PORK RECIPES IN THE LINK BELOW!
Items used in this recipe