There are so many versions of a stuffed baked potato, this spicy meat and cheese stuffed version is my favorite one I’ve made to date. It’s very simple, the toughest part is being patient and waiting for the potatoes to bake so you can scrap them out. All you need is some queso and chorizo with a few potatoes. It’s pretty simple and the best part is that you can play with different ingredients to fit your flavor profile. Okay, let’s jump into this recipe!
Chorizo and Queso stuffed baked potatoes
- 4-6 Large russet potatoes
- ½ lb Chorizo
- A few slices of bacon sliced
- ¼ cup Scallions diced
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 tsp Flour
- 1 cup Whole milk
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1 cup Monte cheese shredded
- 1 Poblano pepper roasted
- 2 Serrano peppers roasted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- Add a tablespoon of melted butter in a bowl with the potatoes and then salt with 1-2 tablespoons of salt. Toss until they are coated.
- Place them on the grill, or smoker, indirect at 400 degrees and cook until they are probe tender, about 90 mins. Toss the poblano pepper on the grill and the Serrano and char them. Once charred, remove and scrap the skin off and remove all the seeds.
- During the last twenty mins of the potatoes cooking, get yourself a saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter and melt, add the flour and stir until bubbling. At this time add the whole milk and mix for a few mins. Now add both types of cheese and the roasted peppers, make sure to remove all seeds. After mixing this in for a min or two add the seasonings to finish them off. Keep on low heat and get the potatoes out.
- As soon as you get the cheese done, cook the chorizo on a cast iron or skillet on medium-high heat. This is about 5-6 mins, and when it's cooked place it in a bowl and put it to the side.
- Cut the side off the potatoes (about 1/8”-1/4”) along the longest side making sure when your potato sits that it’s even. Remove the soft potatoes from the inside making a creator, this is where you will be adding the chorizo and topping it off with the queso.
- Add the chorizo as the first layer, topped with the queso cheese (the amounts are up to you) and then top the queso cheese with scallions and crispy bacon.
- Serve and enjoy with family and friends!
Items used in This Recipe
Leave a Reply