Crunch Wraps are well known by Taco Bell but after you have had one it takes your mind to places to create your own versions. I am making a Chicken Supreme Crunchwrap that gives a Crunchwrap a whole new purpose. The first decision is “chicken breast” or “chicken thighs’ ‘. To me this isn’t even a question, chicken thighs win this debate every time! Darker meat is more tender and juicier. Okay, let’s jump into the recipe!
Chicken Supreme Crunchwrap
- 4-5 Boneless chicken thighs
Brine for the chicken thighs
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 cup Pickle juice
- ⅓ cup Hot sauce
Seasoning for chicken/after brine
- 1 tbsp Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp Coarse black pepper
- 1 tsp Dry mustard powder
- 1 tbsp Smoked paprika
- 2 tsp Mexican chili powder
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
Mango Habanero Salsa
- ¼ cup Mayo
- ¼ cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup Cilantro a handful
- 2 Whole mangos medium sized
- 1 Habanero seeded and diced
- 1 Lime juiced
- 1 Orange juiced
- 1 tsp Kosher salt, or more to taste
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
Basic Ingredients for the crunch wrap
- 5-6 Large tortillas
- 5-6 Tostadas
- ½ head of lettuce chopped
- 2 cups Sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Ears of sweet corn
- Make sure your chicken thighs are boneless and pat them dry, also remove all of the skin. Place the chicken thighs into a large mixing bowl.
- Add your brine to the same bowl the chicken is in. Buttermilk, pickle juice and hot sauce, marinade for a minimal time of 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
- The next day or later that evening you want to have all your ingredients prepped for your cook. That is everything for your Mango Habanero Salsa, the crunch wraps and the corn.
- One hour prior to putting your chicken on the griddle make sure you make your Habaneros salsa. Add all of your ingredients into the food processor and pulse for about 1 min. Now place the salsa in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
- Get your chicken out of the fridge and wash off the brine, also pat dry with a paper towel. Now place the chicken in another mixing bowl and add your chicken seasoning with the olive oil and create a wet rub. Mix until the chicken is all covered.
- Remove the corn off the cob and grill them on the grill until the kernels are roasted. Now place them in a small bowl and add a pinch of Mexican chili powder and mix.
- Set your griddle up for medium heat 375-425 cooking zones. Add the chicken and grill for 4-5 mins per side. Make sure to flip them every 2 mins so you can maintain an even cook. Remove the chicken thighs when they reach an internal temp of 170 degrees. Give them a 5 min rest and cut them into thin slices or cubes.
- Toss your tortillas on the griddle for about 60 seconds and brown them.
- Build your Crunchwrap as follows: Mango Habanero Salsa, Cheese, Chicken, Roasted corn, lettuce, tostada, cheese and now wrap!
- Once you have it folded, place the open exposed side down on the griddle for 60-90 seconds, It could take 2 mins at times. You want to look and make sure they are crispy and flip, crisp this side and then remove.
- Cut them in half or in quarters and serve!
- Enjoy with family and friends!
Did you enjoy this Supreme crunchwrap recipe? Check out my other chicken recipes below!
EQUIPMENT USED IN THIS RECIPE
What temperature should I cook chicken to?
The safest minimum temperature that you need to cook your chicken to is 165 degrees.
How do I keep my grilled chicken juicy and flavorful?
There are many ways to make grilled chicken juicy and flavorful. It depends on which part of the chicken you’re cooking. For breasts, cook them lower and slower. Also, add a marinade. With breasts being less fatty than other parts of the chicken, they tend to seem drier than other parts of the chicken. You can also brine your chicken in saltwater.
What is the juiciest piece of chicken?
The simple answer. Thighs. Boneless skinless thighs are a very lean and juicy source of protein. Cooking them on the grill, smoking them or even in the air fryer. They’re all great.
Leave a Reply