I absolutely love some surf n turf! I love to make my delicious Parmesan AND herb compound butter for both my tomahawk and lobster tails. I want to share my recipe with you so you can have the same experience I have every time. I can’t forget to mention that I went all out with a 57 oz Tomahawk Ribeye and 3 1.5 pound lobster tails, they are insanely massive! Okay, let’s jump into the recipe!
Make sure your Tomahawk steak is room temp and apply a teaspoon and rub it on the steak, do this on both sides. Now season generously with salt, pepper and garlic.
Surf N Turf Compound Butter
- 1 Tomahawk steak
- 3 Lobster tails
- 2 tbsp Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tbsp Garlic powder
Parmesan Herb Compound Butter
- 1 8 ounce block of unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp Fresh Thyme
- 2 tbsp Fresh basil
- 1 tsp Dry oregano
- ¼ cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 tsp Fresh lemon zest
- Start off by having a block of unsalted butter in a large mixing bowl, soften and add the following ingredients. Thyme, basil, oregano, parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix well until it is all combined.
- Have about 8-10” of plastic wrap laying on your butcher block and place all the butter in the shape of a log and then tightly roll into a tight butter log. Place in the fridge for 1 hour plus.
- Make sure your Tomahawk steak is room temp and apply a teaspoon and rub it on the steak, do this on both sides. Now season generously with salt, pepper and garlic.
- Have your smoker set at 250 degrees with applewood smoke rolling and place your steak on. Wait about 30 mins and check the temp and flip. Remove at 115 degrees internal temp.
- When your steak reaches 90-100 degrees internal temp make sure to prep your lobster tails by splitting the back shell and exposing the meat of the lobster. Season with salt, pepper and garlic.
- Now your steak is finished, placed on a resting rack and open all vents and add some more fuel. At this time you want to sear the steak 60-90 seconds per side.
- While the steaks are resting add two tablespoons of the compound butter on top to melt.
- Quickly get the lobster tails down, exposed meat side, for a sear 3 mins. Now flip them and let them finish off on the grill. While they are finishing off on the grill add 2 tablespoons of the compound butter on each lobster tail on the exposed meat side.
- At 145 internal temperature remove the lobster tails.
- Plate your amazing Surf N Turf.
- Enjoy with friends and family!
Did you enjoy this Surf N Turf recipe? You should check out my other beef recipes in the link below!
Items used in This Recipe