Taquitos are definitely one of my family’s favorite appetizers or meals that we make when guests come over.
They are fun and full of flavor, most importantly, I got creative and made Surf N Turf Taquitos that were an absolute favorite! I even impressed myself, so I wanted to make the recipe to share with everyone.
So if you’re looking for a fun and unique way to enjoy seafood and meat, look no further than these Surf N Turf Taquitos! These taquitos are easy to make and have a delicious flavor that everyone will love. Plus, they’re perfect for a party or get-together! So gather your ingredients and get started today. You’ll be glad you did.
Surf N Turf Taquitos
- 1 2 pound flat iron steak (skirt steak is a substitute)
- 1 ½ lbs Shrimp deveined
- 2 Blocks cream cheese at room temp
- 1 cup Shredded jack cheese
- 1 Small can of hatch chilis
- 1 Pac of corn tortillas
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp Mexican chili powder
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- ½ tsp Dried oregano
- ½ tsp Cumin
Pico De Gallo
- ⅓ Red onion diced
- 3 Roma tomatoes pitted
- ½ cup Chopped cilantro
- 1 Jalapeno, diced Serrano pepper as substitute
- ½ Lime juiced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 cup Mexican creme
- ⅔ Poblano pepper
- ⅓ cup Chopped cilantro
- ½ Avocado
- ½ Lime juiced
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- -I always start off by making my Pico De Gallo. For this, prep all of your ingredients for the pico (red onion, tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice, salt and garlic powder) and add them to a medium sized mixing bowl. Once added, use a fork and mix for a minute or so. Place in the fridge for about one hour, this will help the flavors marry together.
- -Now I get straight into the dry rub for my steak and shrimp. Add all the ingredients into a mixing bowl (salt, Mexican chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, black pepper, oregano and cumin) and hand stir until combined.
- -Make sure your steak is at room temp and place it on a cutting board with plastic wrap on the bottom and top. Now use a meat mallet and pound your steak and flatten it out.
- -Now add some oil for a binder and season generously with the dry rub you made. Be sure that your shrimp is deveined and the shells are removed as well. Add oil and hand toss, now season generously with the dry rub made prior. Place in the fridge for a moment, about 20 minutes.
- -Fire up the BBQ for direct grilling. This is the time to make the Poblano Creme. Once the coals are nice and hot, add the Poblano pepper and blister on all sides, about 4-6 mins total time. Let cool and remove the blistered skin and cut into portions, about 2/3 of the pepper. Now make the Poblano Creme by adding the ingredients into a blender (Mexican creme, cilantro, poblano pepper, avocado, lime juice, cumin and salt. Place in the fridge until ready.
- -Grill your steak first, add over the coals for direct grilling and then rotate 90 degrees after 90 seconds and then grill for an additional 90 seconds. Flip and repeat the same process. Depending on how thick you left the steak it should be done. Remove at an internal temp of 128-130. Let rest on a wire rack for 6-8 minutes.
- -While the steak is resting be sure to have your shrimp on skewers and place directly over the hot coals for direct grilling. Grill for about 90-120 seconds per side and remove.
- -Slice your steak very thin and then chop with a clever until it becomes mini cubes. Do the same thing to your shrimp.
- -In a large mixing bowl add your cream cheese, jack cheese, steak (about 1 cup of chopped steak), shrimp (about 1 cup of chopped shrimp) and the hatch chili peppers. Mix with a fork until it's combined nicely. Side note: maybe start with 1/2 cups of steak and shrimp and add from there.
- -Heat up the cooking oil at 350 degrees.
- -Place a pile of corn tortillas on a cutting board and begin making your taquitos. Make as many as you need.
- Place the taquitos in the oil with the seal side down. Fry for 2ish mins and then flip, fry for an additional 2 minutes. Remove and place on a wire rack for resting.
- Serve with the Poblano Creme and Pico De Gallo!
If you’re looking for an easy and delicious way to enjoy Surf N Turf, look no further than these taquitos. They are simple enough for a weeknight meal but special enough for company.
Give them a try and let us know what you think!
Did you enjoy these surf n turf taquitos? You’ll love my other beef recipes in the link below!
Items used in This Recipe
Leave a Reply