I love tasty smoked spatchcock chicken! For example, you can make these Smoked Chicken Buffalo Bites that are amazing. You can have them for appetizers or even for the main meal. They are tasty, spicy and crispy.
My family always has to get togethers and I am the one who is summoned to create the recipe and make all of the food. This is okay with me, as long as I don’t have the responsibility to do the dishes. The recipe was inspired because I typically do a spatchcock chicken once a month for the get togethers and my wife makes some amazing biscuits or croissants. So I came up with the idea to chop up the smoked chicken and add it to my favorite cream cheese mixture and stuff the biscuits with it… WOW, did this work out great!
Before we get into the buffalo bites recipe you might be thinking what is a spatchcock chicken? Well, I will go into some details to explain what it is and the advantages of this technique.
Spatchcock chicken is where you remove the backbone of the whole chicken, this allows it to be opened and flattened out. When you do this to the chicken it reduces the cooking time of the bird by almost half the time. Not only does it help speed up the process of cooking the chicken, but it gives you the ability to apply different cooking techniques, such as grilling or pan frying.
Smoked Chicken Stuffed Buffalo Bites
- 1 4-5 Pound whole chicken
- 1-2 packs Flakey biscuits
- Hot sauce as a binder
- 2 Eggs for the egg wash
- 2 tbsp Lemon pepper
- 1 tbsp Chili powder
- 3 tsp Smoked paprika
- 3 tsp Onion powder
- 3 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Black pepper
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 1 cup Franks red hot
- ¼ cup Honey
- 4 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp Garlic paste
Cream Cheese Mixture
- 1 block Softened cream cheese
- 2 tbsp Chives chopped
- 1 ½ cups shredded chicken (once you chop the spatchcock chicken)
- ½ Sweet onion caramelized
- ¼ cup Bacon chopped
- 1 cup Shredded cheese
1. Start off by prepping all of your ingredients. Get your seasonings portioned out and hand mix them until combined well.
2. Use a pair of kitchen shears and cut along both sides of the backbone of the chicken. You want to remove the backbone. It will be a bit tough, you will be cutting through the rib cage of the chicken. Once it is removed, flip it over, breast side up, and press down until you hear a pop and the bird is laying flat. Flip it back over, underneath exposed.
3. Apply hot sauce as a binder, do this on all sides of the chicken. Season generously on the bottom, the top and under the skin.
4. Fire up the smoker and get the temperature to 275 degrees. Once this temp reaches 275 degrees add a few chunks of hickory wood and place the chicken on the smoker, breast side up. Smoke until an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
5. 45 minutes to prepare your buffalo sauce. Get a saucepan over medium heat and add the Franks red hot, butter, honey and garlic paste. Whisk and simmer for 6-8 minutes. Remove and let cool.
6. Remove the chicken from the smoker (when it reaches 160 degrees in the breast area), and rest for 12 minutes. Once rested, remove all of the meat from the bones and chop it. Place in a bowl, storing some for later because the recipe does not call for the whole bird to be used, and save for later.
7. Be sure to have a block of cream cheese that has been sitting out for 2 hours, room temp. Add it to the bowl with the chopped chicken, chives, bacon, caramelized onions and sharp cheddar cheese. Mix until it’s combines nicely and place to the side.
8. Open up your can of biscuits and flatten out each biscuit with a rolling pin. Roll them flat and thin in a circular shape, fill with the chopped chicken/cream cheese mixture (about a tablespoon or two) and then fold it together forming a ball, do this until they are all complete. Seal the bottom side and use an egg wash to coat the balls. From here, add canola oil to a cast iron skillet. Place them in the grill/smoker at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Remove when they are nice and golden.
9. Plate and add the buffalo sauce and parsley for garnishing.
10. Enjoy with friends and family!
DID YOU ENJOY THESE SMOKED CHICKEN BUFFALO BITES RECIPE? YOU’LL LOVE MY OTHER CHICKEN RECIPES IN THE LINK BELOW!
Items used in This Recipe
Leave a Reply