I have made every Burnt Ends variation known to mankind, so I thought, until I discovered Bologna Burnt Ends. I know what you are thinking, but this is where you need to trust me, they are amazing! Most people would generally think of bologna as a school lunch snack, well you would be right, fortunately with a bit of creativity bologna can be utilized in a very effective way in bbq.
What are Burnt Ends?
Burnt ends are made with the point of the brisket, which is first smoked and then cut off and put into 1” cubes. From here, they are slathered with butter, honey and bbq sauce (there are many variations) and placed back into the smoker for an additional 3-4 hours at a very low smoking temp, typically 225 degrees. What you are left with are tender and juicy bite sized cubes of meat that people go crazy over. This is a traditional practice in the region of Kansas City.
Bologna can mimic the style but temperatures and times vary. You can definitely keep the same flavor profiles and have a successful succulent bite of meat candy. A few pros of using bologna is the cost and time needed to execute the cook.
Let’s get into cooking!
Southern Bologna Burnt Ends Sandwich
- 1 Whole beef bologna
- Blue hogs BBQ rub
- 4 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp Bourbon
- 2 tbsp Honey
- American cheddar cheese
Dr Pepper Glaze
- 1 cup Dr. Pepper
- 2/3 cup Ketchup
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Mustard
- 1/4 cup Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Hot sauce
- 2 tbsp The “W” Sauce Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Onion powder
- 2 tsp Cayenne
- Start off by removing the bologna from the package and taking the casing off. From here, cut the bologna into 1” thick steaks. Now cut the steaks into 3/4-1” cubes and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of yellow mustard and hand mix. Season generously with the bbq rub of choice. Be sure to season and hand mix and season again so all of the bologna burnt ends get the seasoning needed.
- Fire your smoker up to 250 degrees F. with hickory wood chunks. Place the bologna burnt ends on a wire rack and add to the smoker. Smoke for 1 hour 30 mins.
- After 1 hour, begin to make the Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce. Place a saucepan over medium heat and add these ingredients: Dr. Pepper, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, vinegar, honey, hot sauce, The W Sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper. Simmer and stir for 15 mins. Once it’s thickened take it off the burner to cool.
- After 1 hour and 30 mins of smoking, place the burnt ends in an aluminum pan with butter, bourbon, honey and 1 cup of the Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce. Toss and place back into the smoker at the same temp. Smoke for an additional 1 hour.
- Every 20 mins open the lid and toss the burnt ends so they all get coated and glazed.
- Remove from the smoker and cover with aluminum foil,
- Time to assemble, toast the buns, add mustard and mayo to the buns, add the bologna burnt ends, a slice of American cheese (torch to melt), Funyuns and another slice of cheese (torch to melt).
- It is complete, enjoy with family and friends!
Items used in This Recipe