Say goodbye to the average buffalo chicken dip that is at every party! These Bacon Wrapped Buffalo Chicken Bites are the new and improved way for a show stopping appetizer at your next hosting.
What created this amazing idea was my love for smoked pig shots (RECIPE HERE) and my buffalo chicken dip recipe (RECIPE HERE). I wanted to create a mashup of these two different recipes, so that’s exactly what I did. One of the key changes I made was using a potato as my foundation instead of kielbasa.
The buffalo chicken dip recipe is such a huge hit and I thought to myself, why not use that as my filling for the tripe pig shots. This was by far one of the best ideas I have had.
WHAT IS BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP?
Buffalo Chicken Dip might be one of the most addictive foods ever made! It’s creamy and is one fo the most mouthwatering appetizers ever made using hot wing flavors. There are many versions but it mainly consists of cream cheese, shredded chicken, shredded cheddar and a form of buffalo sauce. This concoction gets mixed together and then cooked until it becomes one giant gooey pot of deliciousness.
A lot of the time it is served with tortilla chips but I like to use this mixture in other ways to make it fun and creative. I’ve done it with potato skins (RECIPE HERE) and even made it into a stuffing for potatoes.
Once you fall in love with this recipe, feel free to have fun and create your own versions.
BACON WRAPPED BUFFALO CHICKEN BITES:
When I make my Bacon Wrapped Buffalo Chicken Bites I like to smoke a spatchcock chicken. The bone in the chicken provides the most moist and tender chicken when done properly. Plus, the skin is nice and crispy so you can chop it up and mix into the chicken when making the buffalo chicken dip.
The chicken first gets spatchcocked and then hit with a mustard binder followed by a generous seasoning of Chicka Licka Bam Bam. I do this on the bottom of the chicken and the top. Place it on the smoker at 275 degrees for about 80-90 minutes, or the breast reads an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Remove and let rest for 12 minutes.
After resting, shred the skin and the chicken and combine it together. This is when the magic happens, the buffalo chicken dip gets made. Add a pound of the shredded chicken mixture to a block of cream cheese, chopped scallions, 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese, garlic paste, sour cream, buffalo sauce (I like to use Primal Kitchens), 4 ounces shredded jack cheese and more chicka licka bam bam seasoning. Mix this together and place to the side.
Shave russet potatoes down until they are about 1.5 inches round (like a cube) and cut them into squares. Boil the potatoes for 5 minutes and remove, place in the fridge for 20 minutes. Take them out and then wrap a half strip of bacon around and secure in place with a toothpick. Fill the cavity with the creamy buffalo chicken mixture.
Once you have them all made, place them on the smoker at 275 degrees F. Smoke them for about 60 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp and they turn a golden brown color.
Remove and place on a serving tray to enjoy, be sure to remove the toothpicks before eating.
Bacon Wrapped Buffalo Chicken Bites
- 1 whole chicken 4 pounds spatchcocked
- Chicka Licka Bam Bam seasoning
- 1 pound thick bacon cut in half
- Russet Potatoes
- Buffalo Chicken Dip Mixture
- 1 block cream cheese softened
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar
- 4 ounces shredded jack cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1.5 tablespoons garlic paste
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce or more if you like
- 1 pound of the chicken we smoked above
- Start off by spatchcocking the whole chicken and getting it flatten. Now, apply mustard as a binder and season the whole chicken generously with your favorite seasoning. Fire up the smoker at 275 degrees F with hickory wood chunks and place the bird in. Let it smoke for 60-70 minutes. Remove when the chicken reaches 165 degrees F in the breast, let rest for 10 minutes.
- While the chicken is smoking, shave the russet potatoes into 1.5” cubes and then boil them for 5 minutes. Remove and place in a bowl to transfer into the fridge for 25 minutes.
- When the chicken is finished resting, shred it nice and fine. Now in a large mixing bowl add the cream cheese, sour cream, shredded chicken, scallions, shredded cheddar cheese, shredded jack cheese, hot sauce, buffalo sauce and the garlic paste. Now mix this together with your hands until it is a consistent blend.
- Take the potatoes out of the fridge and wrap it with half a bacon strip and hold it in place with a toothpick. Fill the crevice with the creamy buffalo chicken mixture.
- When they all are made, place them on a wire rack and into the smoker at 275 degrees F. Smoker for 60 minutes or until the bacon is crispy and golden brown.
- Take them out of the smoker and remove the toothpicks before eating.
- Enjoy with family and friends!
And there you have it, folks – the ultimate appetizer that will have your taste buds buzzing with delight – Bacon Wrapped Buffalo Chicken Bites! These little bites are packed with flavor, thanks to the combination of tender chicken, zesty buffalo sauce, and of course, crispy bacon.
The best part? They’re super easy to make! With just a few ingredients and some basic cooking skills, you can whip up a batch of these crowd-pleasing appetizers in no time. Plus, they’re perfect for game day, parties, or any occasion that calls for some finger-licking goodness.
So go ahead and treat yourself to some seriously delicious Bacon Wrapped Buffalo Chicken Bites. Your friends and family will thank you for it. And who knows, you may even become the official appetizer master in your group. So, grab a cold drink, kick back, and enjoy the savory goodness of these delectable bites.
Products Used in this Video