Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip is easily the greatest appetizer of all time! The mixture of cream cheese, mozzarella, shredded smoked chicken and creamy buffalo sauce mixed with a ranch that sends my tastebuds to utopia!
When making the Buffalo chicken dip it is critical to get the chicken tender and the buffalo ranch flavors balanced for the proper flavorful gooey goodness with every bite. Most dips that I have tried from people are put together in a crockpot without any care for proper measurements and time frames for cooking. With my Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip, I will go through the proper layers and techniques used for the most delicious results.
WHERE DID BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP COME FROM?
Buffalo chicken dip is a popular dish that hails from the United States. The spicy, creamy dip consists of shredded chicken, hot sauce, and cream cheese and is often served as a snack or appetizer. It gets its name from the Buffalo-style hot sauce which commonly comes from Buffalo, New York; the sauce is made with cayenne pepper and vinegar for a zesty kick. This delicious dip is usually served hot and usually accompanied by chips, vegetables, or bread for dipping. Buffalo chicken dip has become a favorite among game day gatherings and other casual events alike – you may even find it at bars and restaurants.
WHEN SHOULD I MAKE THIS DIP?
Buffalo chicken dip is a popular dish that is often served at casual gatherings and events. Here are a few occasions where buffalo chicken dip might be a good choice:
- Game day parties: With the football playoffs being around the corner, there will be a lot of game day parties! Buffalo chicken dip is a popular choice for game day gatherings, as it is a tasty and satisfying snack that is easy to eat while watching sports.
- Potlucks and picnics: Buffalo chicken dip is a great choice for potlucks and picnics, as it can be served at room temperature and is easy to transport. Bringing buffalo chicken dip to your picnics will always be a fan favorite.
- Birthday parties and celebrations: Buffalo chicken dip is a tasty and festive snack that can be served at birthday parties and other celebrations.
- Movie nights: Buffalo chicken dip is a great snack to enjoy while watching movies at home with friends or family, plus, everyone always will want a good serving of the dip to munch on before the movie starts!
- Happy hour: Many bars and restaurants serve buffalo chicken dip as an appetizer, making it a popular choice for happy hour or a casual evening out.
HOW TO MAKE SMOKED BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP!
The first step to making the best buffalo chicken is to get a whole chicken and then spatchcock it, this happens when you remove the backbone and flatten it out. This will help increase the cooking time. The reason I like to get a whole chicken is that I love the mixture of white and dark meat with the crispy skin chopped up with it.
Once the chicken is spatchcocked it is time to give it a buffalo buttermilk brine for 12 hours. In a large bowl mix in a 1/2 gallon of buttermilk and 1-2 cups of buffalo sauce. Now whisk it together and then add the chicken into the mixture. Make sure it is submerged and then place it in the fridge for 12 hours to brine. The next day wash it off with cold water and then place on a wire rack with a sheet pan underneath it to dry for 45 minutes.
Once it is dried apply a tablespoon of buffalo sauce on the top and bottom of the chicken and use it as a binder. Now season under on the bottom and the top skin (and under the skin) with a seasoning mixture that you will see in the ingredients section of this recipe.
Fire the smoker up to 250 degrees and add some apple wood chunks for the smoker. Add the chicken skin side down and let it smoke till it reaches 160 degrees F internal. When the internal temperature hits remove the chicken and place it on a wire rack with aluminum foil on top and let it rest. Rest for 12 minutes and then shred the chicken, mixing the white/dark meat with the crispy skin.
Time for the dip creation. In a medium-sized bowl add a block of softened cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, sour cream, shredded chicken, buffalo sauce, and ranch sauce. Hand mix for a few minutes to make sure it is all combined. Now add the mixture into a 12” cast iron skillet and place it on the smoker without the reflector plate. Smoke indirectly for 20-25 minutes. At the 15-minute mark, open the smoker and mix the mixture together with a wooden utensil.
Remove the cast iron and place it on a warmer and top it with more buffalo sauce, ranch sauce, Scallions, and crispy bacon. Serve it with tortilla chips, I like using the scoopers.
Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1 3 pound whole chicken
- Buffalo sauce( I use Primal Kitchen for a binder
- Scoop tortilla chips
Chicken Dry Rub
- 2 tbsp Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp Black pepper
- 1 tbsp Smoked paprika
- 2 tsp Onion powder
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Seasoned salt
- ½ gallon Buttermilk
- 1 cup Buffalo sauce
Buffalo Dip Mixture
- 1 block Cream cheese
- ½ cup Sour cream
- 8 oz Shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz Shredded cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup Buffalo sauce
- ⅓ cup Ranch
- 1 cup Shredded chicken mixture
- ½ lb Crispy bacon bits
- ¼ cup Dried scallions
- Ranch sauce
- Start off by preparing the whole chicken by spatchcocking it. From here add buttermilk and buffalo sauce into a mixing bowl and whisk. Add the chicken so it is brining for 12 hours in this mixture. Place it in the fridge.
- The next day wash the chicken off with cold water and place on a wire rack for 45 minutes. Pat dry and then apply a tablespoon of buffalo sauce on the top and bottom of the chicken. Now season all sides generously with the seasoning mixture.
- Fire the smoker up at 250 degrees F and add some apple wood chunks for smokey flavor. Place the chicken skin side down and let smoke until an 160 degrees F internal temperature. Remove and let rest on a wire rack for 12 minutes. After resting, shred the chicken and mix it all on a cutting board. Use a cleaver knife to chop it well, including the crispy skin.
- In a medium mixing bowl add cream cheese, sour cream, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, chopped chicken, buffalo sauce and ranch. Hand mix for a few minutes to make sure it is combined.
- Load this into a 12” cast iron skillet and place it on the smoker for 25 minutes. At the 15 minute mark, open the smoker and mix the smoked buffalo chicken dip with a wooden utensil.
- Once it is finished place it on a warmer and top it with some more buffalo sauce, ranch, scallions, and crispy bacon bits.
- Serve and enjoy with family and friends!
This dip is a great choice for entertaining, as it’s easy to make, customizable to different tastes and dietary needs, and sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Whether you’re looking to share game day snacks or potluck recipes, this delicious and satisfying dip could be the perfect solution.
It’s also a great recipe for someone just starting out in the kitchen who wants something simple yet tasty. So next time you’re in need of a party snack idea or looking for something new to try in the kitchen, don’t forget about this awesome recipe!
So if you are looking for a delicious new dish to make for your next gathering, try my Buffalo Chicken Dip – it’s sure to be a hit! This easy-to-make appetizer combines the flavors of spicy hot sauce, creamy cream cheese and tender shredded chicken.
It’s perfect for game days, potlucks, movie nights or any other occasion where you want indulgent finger food. I guarantee that your guests will love it! So don’t wait – give this recipe a try today and enjoy the irresistible flavors of buffalo chicken dip.
Items used in This Recipe