I am a huge fan of Birria and have made it in the taco form and the quesabirria way. They both are absolutely amazing, but I have always wanted to try Birria Egg rolls and I am here to tell you that they are the best BIRRIA I have had yet. To be honest, I have only had Birria when I have made it… I still need to get out to their birthplace and try them. Let’s jump into the recipe!
Birria Egg Wraps
- 2 lbs Chuck roast
- 2 lbs Short beef ribs
- 2 lbs Beef shanks
- 6 cups water
- 2 ½ cups Beef stock
- 5 Tomatoes split
- 1 ½ Sweet onion halved
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 1 ½ Sticks of cinnamon
- 6-8 Guajillo chilis
- 1 Chipotle, from the can with adobo
- 1 tbsp Adobo sauce from the can
- 1-2 tbsp Allspice berries
- 1 tbsp Black pepper corns
- 2 tbsp Chili powder
- 2 tbsp Dried oregano
- 2 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Dried thyme
- 2 Bay leaves
- Egg wraps
- ¼ Sweet onion diced
- Peanut oil for frying
- Oaxaca cheese
- -Start off by firing up your smoker and getting the coals hot with a dutch oven. You want it to be at searing temps. As a side note, make sure you have all of your ingredients above prepped and ready for cooking.
- -Now season the beef with kosher salt and then set to the side for 15ish mins.
- -Sear the beef in batches (do not overcrowd the pan) for 3-4 mins per side. Place on a wire rack for resting.
- -Pour 4 cups of water in the dutch oven and add all of these ingredients: 2 cups beef broth, 5 tomatoes (halved), sweet onions (quartered), garlic cloves, Guajillo chilies, 2 sticks cinnamon, 1 chipotle with adobo sauce, allspice berries, black peppercorns, chili powder, dried oregano, cumin, dried thyme and 2 bay leaves. Now simmer for 15-20 mins. Remove the solids/strain and place in a food processor, add a cup of the braising liquid. Blend to a smooth consistency.
- -Add all the beef back into the dutch oven (add water and beef stock as needed) and pour all the liquid you blended back into the dutch oven. Braise at 275-300 for 2-3 hours. You are looking for your meat to be shreddable and juicy. Remove and let rest for 20-30 mins and shred the beef and chop finely with a cleaving knife.
- -Add the peanut oil to your frying pot and get the oil temp to 350 degrees.
- -Add the shredded beef to the egg wrap and add some shredded Oaxaca cheese. With your finger dip in water and coat the edges of the egg wrap. Now roll as best as you can and seal.
- -Fry the Birria Egg wraps in batches for 2-3 mins per batch.
- -During the frying, take all the liquid in the dutch oven and strain it. The liquid that makes it through is going to be your consomme for dipping. Add diced onion and cilantro into the broth.
- -Serve and enjoy with family and friends!
Did you enjoy this egg wrap birria? You’ll love my other beef recipes in the link below!
Items Used In This Recipe