Many people love country fried steak. It’s delicious comfort food that can be enjoyed at home or in a restaurant. This dish is typically made with beef steak that is breaded and then deep-fried. While it may seem difficult to make, it’s actually quite easy.
In this recipe, we will show you how to make country fried steak step-by-step. So, whether you are a beginner or an experienced cook, you can easily prepare this dish at home. Enjoy!
Country Fried Steak brings back so many memories from my childhood. My mom would make this weekly and it has stuck to me since. Of course, I added a few of my own little touches that please my palate and now I am ready to share it with you. Okay, let’s get to the recipe!
Country Fried Steak with Potato Hash
- 2 lbs Cubed steak
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 6-8 Golden petite potatoes cubed
- ½ Yellow onion diced
- Peanut oil for frying
- 1-2 Eggs. Sunny side up (personal preference)
Country Fried Steak Gravy
- ⅓ lb Diced bacon
- Sweet sausage link (remove from casing)
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Whipping cream
- ¾ cup Whole milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
Country Fried Steak
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp Black pepper
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Dried thyme
- 2 tsp Cayenne
- 2 Eggs beaten
- 3 tbsp Whole milk
- -Start off by prepping your potatoes by cubing them (or diced) and season with salt, pepper, garlic and chili powder. Place a cast iron over medium heat and add butter and canola oil, let heat up for 5 mins and add the potatoes. Stir and cook for 5 mins and then add the onions. It’s important to not sit and forget the potatoes, stir occasionally and keep an eye on them.
- -During the 5 minutes the cast iron is heating up be sure to season your cube steak with salt and pepper. Have your breading and egg wash station setup as well. Your breading should consist of all purpose flour, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme and cayenne (whisk it together).
- -Add beaten eggs and milk together and whisk.
- Add canola oil in a frying skillet (oil temp 350 degrees) and have it ready.
- When the oil hits 350 degrees begin your breading on the cube steaks. Do it in this order, add the cubed steaks in the flour and then egg wash and then flour. Once this is done you can go straight to the fryer. Fry for 4-4 1/2 minutes per side, or a nice golden brown crust. Place on a wire rack when complete. Keep in mind to check on your potatoes and place on the indirect side of the grill to keep warm.
- -Remove the oil from the cast iron and now begin your gravy. Add the butter and let it melt down. Add the bacon and crisp for 3-4 minutes. Add the Italian sausage and cook it down (separating the sausage while cooking) until it's nicely browned and the bacon is crisp.
- -Add the flour and whisk all of it together. After a minute or two add the heavy cream and whisk for an additional minute. Add the whole milk at this time and whisk until it thickens to your liking. Season with salt and pepper
- -Fry up your egg and plate your meal on a cutting board of plates for serving. I like to have my Country Fried Steak on one side and the potatoes next to it smothered in gravy with the sunny side egg on top.
- -Enjoy with family and friends!
Country fried steak is a delicious, hearty dish that can be made at home with just a few simple ingredients. This recipe is easy to follow and will result in a crispy, golden brown country fried steak that your whole family will love. So why not give it a try?
Head to the kitchen and get started on this mouth-watering meal today!
Did you enjoy this country fried steak recipe? You’ll love my other beef recipes in the link below!
Items used in This Recipe
Leave a Reply