Where Hot Dog Burnt Ends Came From
Ever heard of hot dog burnt ends? They may sound unusual, but I guarantee they are some of the tastiest! I came up with this recipe when I was searching for a unique spin on traditional hot dogs. Instead of using leftovers, I opted to concoct my very own version. Amazingly, they proved to be amazing! Not only are these delectable hot dog burnt ends easy to whip up, but all you need is some hot dogs, preferred BBQ sauce, and a bit of time for their exterior to turn crispy and caramelized.
Why You Will Want To Make Them
Hot dog burnt ends are a tasty, smoky twist on the classic hot dog. These delicious treats require very little preparation and only a few simple ingredients. The combination of sweet BBQ sauce, tender smoky meat and a layer of caramelized goodness makes these snacks simply irresistible. Hot dog burnt ends are also very versatile – they can be enjoyed as is or topped with a variety of condiments, sides and other toppings to suit your preference. When it comes to snacking or mealtime, hot dog burnt ends make an excellent choice! These crispy, flavorful bites are perfect for any summer cookout or backyard party. And best of all, they’re really easy to make. Just follow our simple recipe and you’ll have delicious hot dog burnt ends in no time.
I have seen many versions of Burnt Ends (obviously, brisket burnt ends will always be king) and with the prices of meat these days, I was inspired to create burnt ends on a more affordable budget.
Let’s not forget, these are perfect for any tailgate or Super Bowl hosting event. You can still have great flavor and feed a lot of people on a very low budget. Okay, let’s jump into the recipe!
Hot Dog Burnt Ends
- 12 Beef Frank hot dogs
- ¼ cup Mayo
- ¼ cup Mustard
- ¼ cup Brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp Mexican chili powder
- 1 tbsp Smoked paprika
- 2 tsp Black pepper
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Dry mustard powder
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper
Honey Sriracha BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup Ketchup
- ½ cup Dark brown sugar
- ½ cup Cup of water (as needed)
- ¼ cup Sriracha
- ¼ cup Apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Molasses
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Dry rub (from above)
- 2 tsp Onion powder
- 2 tsp Mexican chili powder
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper
- Start off by prepping your hotdogs and having them on a medium-sized baking sheet, patted dry.
- In a bowl add all of your ingredients for the dry rub (brown sugar, salt, Mexican chili powder, smoked paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dry mustard powder, and cayenne pepper), and mix with your hand.
- Apply mayo and mustard to your hotdogs as a binder and then season generously, turn the hotdogs, and season the other side.
- Set the smoker at 250 degrees and put your hotdogs in, keeping them in the baking sheet.
- Smoke for 2 hours, open the smoker, and rotate the hotdogs one hour in.
- While the burnt ends have been smoking for 1 1/2 hours, make the honey sriracha sauce. Place a saucepan over medium heat and add in your ingredients for the sauce (ketchup, dark brown sugar, water, sriracha, apple cider vinegar, molasses, honey, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, dry rub, Mexican chili powder, and cayenne. Whisk and let simmer for 8 mins, remove and let cool.
- Remove the hotdogs at the 2-hour mark and cut them into 1 1/2 inch lengths. Cut them and toss them in an aluminum pan. Add 1 stick of unsalted butter, 2 tablespoons of bbq rub, and 1 cup of bbq sauce and mix.
- Raise the temp of the smoker to 400 degrees and add the aluminum pan in. Smoker for an additional 45 mins.
- Remove and plate for serving! I use toothpicks and place them in the hotdog burnt ends.
- Serve and enjoy!
Thank you for checking out Hot Dog Burnt Ends!
Make your next cookout stand out with hot dog burnt ends! These smoky and tender treats are made with just a few simple ingredients and take only a short time to smoke and caramelize. Coupled with a sweet and tangy BBQ sauce, they provide an unbeatable flavor combination that both children and adults will love. Serve on their own or add your favorite topping or side dish for extra customization – however you choose to serve them, these hot dog burnt ends aren’t one to miss! And if you don’t have all of the ingredients on hand, never fear – we’ve got a recipe that will work with what you do have.
So go ahead, put on your chef hat and get ready to wow your taste buds! Have you made these hot dog burnt ends before? What did you think?
Did you enjoy this Hot dog poor mans burnt ends recipe? You should check out my other beef recipes in the link below!
Items used in This Recipe
Leave a Reply