The joy of BBQ has grown substantially over the recent years, with this, all kinds of different cuts of beef that were uncommon in the market have come on the scene. For example; Hanger steak, Denver steak, beef cheeks, and try-tip are a few cuts of beef that not many people had the pleasure to experience. This recipe is loaded to equip you to master the Tri-Tip for an epic meal.
WHERE DOES THE TRI-TIP COME FROM?
The Tri-Ti is a triangle-shaped cut of beef that is separated from the Sirloin/Ball Tip and Sirloin Bavette/Flap of the Bottom Sirloin. This cut of beef is tender and succulent when prepared properly. One of the toughest challenges for people with this cut of beef is to determine how the grain flows so you are always cutting against the grain. This is important so each slice is as tender as possible.
Okay, I am stoked to share my recipe and what I make out of a reverse-seared Tri-Tip! I make a sandwich served with fries.
Reverse Seared Tri-Tip Sandwich
- 1 4 lb Tri-tip
- Duck fat as a binder
- 1-2 Russett potatoes
- Parmesan truffle seasoning
- A pack of sub rolls
- Store bought spicy mayo
- 1 Bell pepper in each color Red, green, yellow
- 8 oz Baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 Yellow onion
- 1 pack Provolone cheese
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 2 tsp Black pepper
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Lemon pepper
- 1 tsp Cayenne
- Start off by firing up your smoker and setting the temp to 250 degrees.
- Prep the Tri-Tip by removing silver skin and hard fat. Now mix all of your seasoning together in a mixing bowl. The kosher salt, black pepper, garlic, onion, paprika, lemon pepper and cayenne.
- Apply mustard or duck fat on the Tri-Tip as a binder and season generously on all sides.
- Place in the smoker and let smoke until the internal temp is 120-125 degrees F.
- During this time, prep your bell peppers, onion and mushrooms. Add them to a skillet at medium heat with a teaspoon of oil and a tablespoon of butter. You want to cook these down until they are translucent.
- Cut your potatoes into fries and place in a bowl of ice cold water for 20-30 minutes. Remove and pat dry. Once dry, place them in the fryer for 5 minutes at 360 degrees. Degrees F. After five minutes remove them and wait for the Tri-Tip to be finished.
- Remove the Tri-Tip from the smoker at 125 degrees internal temp. Now let it rest for 8-10 minutes and then sear over direct heat for 90 seconds per side. Remove and rest for 15 minutes.
- During the resting, place the fries back into the fryer for 3-4 minutes, until crisp. Remove and season with Parmesan Garlic Truffle Seasoning.
- Cut your sub rolls and crisp over the coals.
- Slice the Tri-Tip against the grain into thin slices.
- Assemble the Tri-Tip sandwich in this order: Spicy mayo, the thinly cut Tri-Tip, load the veggies and then provolone. Place it under the broiler for 5 minutes or torch.
- Serve and enjoy!
DID YOU THIS TRI-TIP SANDWICH RECIPE? YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT MY OTHER BEEF RECIPES IN THE LINK BELOW!
Items used in This Recipe
Leave a Reply