Mac and Cheese is the most desired comfort food on the planet! Have it in our home 3-4 times a week but it is typically the store-bought kind. I wanted to elevate this delicious side dish and turn it into the main feast! How do you do that, you might think to yourself. Well, I bought a 3-bone slab of beef ribs and smoked them low and slow, and added them into my Mac and Cheese recipe, it was fantastic!
I started to think about adding the beef rib because I have had it with brisket, which I love, and when beef ribs are done properly they are juicy and tender. This makes it a perfect addition to Mac and Cheese.
This recipe takes some dedication but I promise it will be the best Mac and Cheese you will ever have! It is full of flavor, gooey cheesy goodness with the succulent tender and juicy beef rib… Did I mention it is topped with bacon for the crunch factor?
Okay, let’s jump into the recipe!
Shredded Beef Rib Mac and Cheese
- One slab of beef plate ribs (3 bones)
- Hot sauce as a binder
- Your favorite beef seasoning
Mac and Cheese
- 1 bag Penne noodles
- 2 cups Heavy creams (have another 1/2 cup in case you need to add for your desired consistency)
- 1 lb Bacon
- 1 Whole shallot roasted
- 4 cloves Garlic roasted
- 4 oz Gouda cheese shredded
- 4 oz Cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 oz Pepper jack shredded
- 1-2 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp Black pepper
- Start off by prepping your beef ribs by removing all the hard fat and silver skin. Apply hot sauce as a binder and then season with your favorite beef seasoning. Let them sit for 45 minutes.
- During this time, fire up the smoker at 225 degrees F. I used a pellet smoker and smoked overnight. Let them smoke until an internal temp of 170 degrees. Get butcher paper set up at the prep station and apply a tablespoon of beef tallow on the butcher’s paper (spread it evenly). Place the beef ribs on the butcher’s paper, bone side down, and then add another tablespoon of beef tallow on top of the beef ribs (rub it across the ribs). Place back into the smoker until an internal temp of 203 (Probe tender). Leave them wrapped and place in a cooler for 2 hours of resting.
- During the resting period keep the smoker rolling at 350 degrees. 30 minutes prior to shredding the beef ribs, place 4 cloves of garlic and a shallot on aluminum foil and apply a few teaspoons of avocado oil and a pinch of salt. Place on the smoker for 25 minutes.
- Place the heavy cream in a pot and put it on the smoker to warm and reduce a bit. Make sure you whisk every few minutes. Also, boil your penne noodles inside and strain.
- Shred the beef ribs.
- Get a skillet over medium heat and crisp the bacon, make sure the bacon is diced, and when it is crispy place it in a bowl. Leave the bacon fat and add a tablespoon of flour and whisk. Add the chopped shallot and garlic and whisk for a minute. Add the hot heavy cream and whisk for a minute. Now add in (a handful at a time) your cheese, and keep whisking the whole time until it’s a consistent gooey cheese sauce.
- In an oven, pan add some olive oil to the bottom and then the cooked noodles, the cheesy gooey sauce, and the shredded beef ribs. Mix together and then top with the three kinds of cheese and crispy bacon.
- Place in the smoker for 25 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Remove and enjoy the best Beef Rib Mac and Cheese!
DID YOU ENJOY THIS SMOKED BEEF RIB MAC AND CHEESE? YOU’LL LOVE MY OTHER BEEF RECIPES IN THE LINK BELOW!
Items used in This Recipe
Leave a Reply