Hot Honey Smoked Pork Belly Burnt Ends are addictive, juicy bite-sized mouthwatering cubes of pork belly that are coated with a delicious spice rub, smoked with apple wood chunks, and then coated in my Hot Honey sauce! They are perfect for appetizers by leaving them on a plate and served with toothpicks. Literally the definition of finger food!
Preparing the Pork Belly burnt ends
I started out with a whole 8-pound pork belly that I bought from Costco. I like to get them from there because the pork belly comes without the skin on. You don’t want the skin on for pork belly burnt ends because it will be too tough. The low and slow method is going to break down all of the fat and make these burnt ends the most tender bite you ever had!
Okay, place your pork belly in the freezer for 20 mins to harden a bit, this is going to allow you to cut through the Pork Belly much easier. When the time expires, take your pork belly to your preparation station and cut them into 1 1/2” strips in one direction. Once they are all cut into these strips, cut the steps into 1 1/2” cubes and place them on a wire rack.
Time to season!
Once all of the pork belly cubes are on the wire rack, place a baking sheet under them and season your pork belly cubes generously with your favorite pork seasoning. The baking sheet will catch the extra seasoning that misses the pork belly and you can use it on the remaining burnt ends. Now that they’re all seasoned, fire your smoker up to 250 degrees F.
When the smoker reaches 250 degrees F. ambient temperature add a few chunks of apple wood and place your burnt ends on the smoker. Here is when patience comes to play, wait 3 hours to let them smoke and build a bark.
Add the Pork Belly burnt ends to the smoker!
At the 3-hour mark, remove the burnt ends and place them in a 2” depth aluminum pan. Add 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter, 3 tablespoons of dark brown sugar, and 2-3 tablespoons of Honey. Cover them and place them back on the smoker for 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
After the one-hour mark, place a saucepan over medium heat and make the Hot Honey sauce. It’s a combination of hot sauce, honey, butter, garlic, and some red pepper flakes (a few other ingredients) and simmer for 8 minutes. Remove and let it cool.
Take the pork belly burnt ends out of the smoker and place them in a separate aluminum pan and sauce with the Hot Honey Sauce. Toss them back on the smoker, do not cover them, and smoke for an additional 15-20 mins. Remove and let them cool for 15 mins and serve!
Hot Honey Pork Belly BurntEnds
- Start off by cutting the pork belly into 1 1/2” cubes.
- Season each cube with your favorite pork rub.
- Place pork belly cubes on a wire rack and set your smoker to 250 degrees F. Add apple wood chunks and place burnt ends on the smoker. Smoked For 3 hours.
- Transfer pork belly burnt ends to an aluminum pan with butter, honey and brown sugar. Place back on the smoker for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Be sure to cover it with foil.
- Make the Hot Honey sauce in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Remove the pork belly and place in another aluminum pan and add the Hot Honey sauce. Place back in the smoker for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the smoker and serve!