I firmly believe it is always a good time for a tender, juicy steak sandwich! I grill my spinalis steaks over hot coals and then cover them with a blanket of warm and gooey provolone cheese. This tender grilled steak sits between toasted brioche buns right after I top it with fried crispy shallots.
It gets better, trust me! For me, a sauce can make, break or elevate any sandwich. The sauce for this grilled steak sandwich is in the elevation category! It starts off with a base of mayo and I add some fresh herbs (thyme and rosemary) and of course, the star of the show, roasted garlic, along with a few other tasty ingredients. Once I get all the kids in the pool I give it a 2-3 minute whisk and then place it to the side until it’s needed at the end.
Type of steak for a Steak Sandwich
The king of all steaks for a delicious steak sandwich is Ribeye Steak. The marbling allows for the most tender bite that is full of flavor. A few other options that I have used are Hanger steak, skirt steak, Tri-tip and sirloin. They all have good marbling for that extra flavor.
How to Make a Steak Sandwich
It all starts on the grill. Depending on the thickness of the steak determines the approach used for your results. If it’s thicker than an inch and a half, then I usually do a reverse sear. For anything thinner than that I directly grill the steak over hot coals. The key is to keep flipping every 60-90 seconds until you get a nice crispy crust and
your internal temperature is 128 degrees F.
Prior to grilling the steak I always make my Steak Sauce. This allows the sauce time to marry together for a more delicious-tasting sauce. I cut the tip of my garlic bulb and place it in foil with olive oil and a pinch of salt. Close the foil and place it in the oven at 325 degrees for 25-30 mins. Once done, squeeze it into the steak sauce with the other tasty ingredients.
From here, we go straight into grilling the steaks as we described earlier. I am going over direct coals for 60-90 seconds per side and I am going to keep flipping and repeating until my internal temperature hits 128 degrees F. internally. A 12-15 minute rest is going to follow. One important part is to add two slices of provolone cheese on top as soon as you take them off the grill. The heat from the steaks will melt the cheese.
During the resting period is when the shallots get fried. I am going to chop up 4-6 shallots (depending on how many steak sandwiches are being made) and then get my beef tallow heated up to 350 degrees F. Drop the chopped shallots in and let them fry until they are golden brown and remove. I like to place them in a bowl.
Time to toast the buns, add some mayo and toast them for 60 seconds over those hot coals and place them to the side.
My favorite part, besides eating the steak sandwiches, is assembling the steak sandwiches. Add my favorite steak sauce on the top and bottom buns, crispy bacon (I deep-fried mine), the steak and then the crispy fried shallots. It is complete!
Grilled Steak Sandwich
- 3-4 Spinalis steaks
- 1-2 pack Brioche buns
- 12 slices Provolone cheese
- 1 lb Bacon
- 6-8 Shallots chopped
- ½ cup Mayo
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Fresh rosemary
- 6 cloves Garlic roasted
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- ½ tsp Salt and pepper
- Star off by roasting garlic in the oven, 325 degrees F. For 25 mins.
- Create the steak sauce by adding mayo, thyme, rosemary, Worcestershire sauce, roasted garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Season the steaks generously with kosher salt and fire the grill up for direct grilling. Let the steaks sit at room temperature for 25 mins. During this time, fry the bacon and prepare the shallots.
- Grill the steaks over direct heat for 60-90 seconds per side, keep repeating this process until your internal temperature reaches 128 degrees F. Remove and place two slices of provolone cheese on each steak while resting.
- While the steak is resting, fry the shallots until grown brown and crispy. Place in a bowl.
- Time to build the Steak Sandwich! Sauce the top and bottom buns with the steak sauce, add the crispy bacon on the bottom bun, the grill steak on top of the bacon and then top with a pile of fried shallots.
- It is complete, enjoy with family and friends!
DID YOU ENJOY THIS GRILLED STEAK SANDWICH? YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT MY OTHER BEEF RECIPES IN THE LINK BELOW!
Items used in This Recipe