Every time I make my Cajun Honey Butter Lobster and Steak my whole family wants an invite! They are buttery and savory, giving the elegant meal experience all at home. This recipe is highly recommended for a planned dinner night for a special occasion.
Lobster alone is a delicious dinner. They are versatile in how you can prepare them and there are a lot of flavor profiles that can come to play. My favorite flavor combo is the Cajun Honey Butter and I am excited for you to make them yourself.
Another great benefit of making lobster is that it can be paired with steak. I personally would ideally pair my lobster with Filet Mignon, NY Strip and the famous Ribeye Steak (Bone-in preferably). Each of these proteins are delicious in their own way but adding a delightful lobster tail to the plate only elevates the whole experience.
DIFFERENT WAYS TO PREPARE LOBSTER TAILS
There are a few different ways to prepare the lobster, such as butter poaching (PLEASE INSERT THE RECIPE HERE), grilled lobster (over direct flamers), oven-boiled lobster or smoking the lobster. For this particular recipe, I went with smoking the lobster tails.
When smoking lobster tails, I like to butter them so the meat sits right on the shells. This creates an awesome presentation and helps the lobster cook evenly. Once the lobster is prepared this way the smoker is waiting at 250 degrees f, with apple wood smoker for an enhanced flavor. They should only take about 40ish minutes, the internal temperature is 145 degrees F for lobster tails.
CAJUN HONEY BUTTER LOBSTER AND STEAK
Whenever I make this recipe I always start off with the steak. It’s important to have it out and thawed and patted dry. From here, avocado oil is applied as a binder on both sides of the steak and then followed with a generous seasoning of salt, pepper and garlic. Once it is seasoned, place the steak to the side and fire your grill up for direct searing.
While the grill is getting prepared and the steaks are seasoned, it is now time to prepare the lobster tails by butterflying them.
HOW TO BUTTERFLY LOBSTER TAILS
- Cut the shell long ways, front to back, using sharp kitchen shears straight down the middle.
- At the base of the tail, make a 1/4” slit on the shell to the left and to the right.
- Use your finger to separate the meal from the shell. Now pull the meat through the shell and lay it on top of the shell, keeping it all intact.
From here, season the lobster with the same mixture as the steak. Salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place them on a wire rack and to the side for a moment while the grill gets fired up.
MAKING CAJUN HONEY BUTTER
Time to make the cajun honey butter. In a medium bowl add one block of softened butter with cajun seasoning, honey, garlic, lemon zest, hot sauce and parsley. Mix it with a fork until it is combined and has a nice consistency.
From here, apply the cajun honey butter on top of the lobster meat. Spread it out evenly on top of the meat so while it smokes it will absorb all of the flavor leaving a nice cajun honey crust.
HOW TO SEAR A RIBEYE STEAK
The coals should be nice and hot at this time. Add canola oil to a rag and wipe down the grates of the grill where the ribeye steak is going to be placed. Add the ribeye steak directly over the hot coals and sear for 60-90 seconds, then flip and sear for 60-90 seconds. Remove and place on a wire rack. Set the smoker for smoking at 250 degrees F.
SMOKED LOBSTER AND RIBEYE
When the smoker is set at 250 degrees F add some hickory wood chunks and place the ribeye steak on the smoker with the lobster tails, be sure to keep the lobster tails on the wire rack (it makes them easier to transport). Now add a water pan under the lobster. Let the steak and lobster smoker for 20-25 minutes before probing for temperatures.
The steak will be done first and the internal temperature for the steak is 125 degrees f. During the resting period, the carryover heat will rise to 132-135 degrees f. After about 10 minutes check the lobster tails, they will be done cooking once they reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees f. Remove the lobster tails from the smoker and then plate them with the steak and serve!
Cajun Honey Butter Lobster and Steak
- 1-2 Ribeye steaks
- 2-3 Lobster Tails
- Avocado oil for a binder
- 1 tbsp Salt, pepper, garlic powder (each)
Cajun Honey Butter
- 1 block Unsalted butter
- 6 cloves Minced garlic
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Hot sauce
- 2 tbsp Chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp Lemon zest
- Start off by preheating your grill for direct searing. Now season the ribeye(s) steak with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Then, place it to the side.
- Butterfly the lobster tails so the meat is sitting on top of the shell is fully exposed. Season the lobster with salt, pepper and garlic.
- In a medium bowl make the cajun honey butter by adding a block of butter, cajun seasoning, minced garlic, honey, hot sauce, chopped parsley and lemon zest. Mix with a fork and sit to the side.
- Grill the steak over the direct coals creating a crust. Grill for 60-90 seconds per side and remove, place on a wire rack and set the grill up for smoking 250-275 degrees with apple wood chunks for smoke.
- During this time paste the lobster tails with the cajun honey butter.
- When the smoker reaches 250-275 degrees f, add the steaks and lobster with a water pan under the lobster. Let them smoke for 20-25 minutes and then check temperatures. The steak gets removed at 125-128 degrees F for medium rare. The lobster gets removed at 145 degrees.
- Once they get removed, rest the steak for 8-10 minutes before you plate and serve!
Surf and turf is a classic combination of seafood and steak that can be a delicious and satisfying meal. There are a few reasons why you should give it a try:
- Variety: Surf and turf offers a variety of flavors and textures in one dish, making it a great option for people who like to try different things.
- Balance: The combination of seafood and steak provides a good balance of protein and nutrients, making it a well-rounded meal.
- Versatility: Surf and turf can be prepared in a variety of ways, such as grilling, broiling, or pan-frying, making it a versatile dish that can be adapted to different cooking methods and preferences.
- Special Occasions: Surf and turf is often seen as a luxurious or special occasion meal, making it a great choice for special occasions or when you want to treat yourself.
Overall, surf and turf is a delicious and satisfying meal that offers a variety of flavors and textures, a good balance of nutrients, and versatility in terms of cooking methods. If you’re looking for something a little different, or if you just want to indulge in a luxurious meal, surf and turf is definitely worth a try.
DID YOU ENJOY THIS HONEY GARLIC SURF N TURF RECIPE? YOU’LL LOVE MY OTHER BEEF RECIPES IN THE LINK BELOW!
Items used in This Recipe