Everyone loves a good grilled burger! During the summer we have them on the menu once a week. There is something so satisfying about the crispy char exterior that is smothered in melted cheese. Sometimes I might even add some lettuce and fresh tomato for a little extra crunch to my bite. I know there are a lot of varieties to make burgers so I decided to make these pizza burgers.
Pizza is great on its own and the famous cheeseburger is fantastic, let’e combine them into one. The buns got toasted and then slathered with a roasted garlic butter for a savory note. While the burger is grilling I topped it with pizza sauce and then a slice of provolone cheese that gets topped with two deli sized pepperoni slices fresh off the griddle. When it all gets assembled together the final results are as impressive as it sounds!
FORMING THE BURGERS
The best beef to use for any burger is 80/20 ground chuck. The beef to fat ratio is perfect to keep the meat tender, juicy and flavorful. Start out with 1 1/2 pounds of ground chuck and then form them into 1/3 pound sized patties.
When forming the patties keep this in mind that the raw patty should be 1/4” larger than the buns you are using. The burger will shrink when it is cooked.
Once the burgers are formed, place them in the fridge for about 30-45 minutes. This will harden the patties and help keep them firm during the cooking.
MAKING THE PIZZA BURGER
To begin making the Pizza Burger it is important to start off with cooking the green bell peppers and red onions in a cast iron skillet with some butter and salt. Be sure to cook them down until they become translucent. At this point, remove them and keep them warm.
Place a pot over medium heat and add the pizza sauce so it can warm up. I used store bought sauce for this cook.
Make sure the charcoal grill is fired up and ready for direct grilling. Season the patties with salt, pepper and garlic powder and toss them on the grill. Grill for 5-6 minutes per side for a good cooked through burger.
While the burgers are cooking, mix garlic paste and mayo together for the spread on the buns. Now add a skillet over hot heat and grill the pepperoni slices for a few minutes per side.
After the first flip of the burgers on the grill it is time to add the pizza sauce on top and a slice of provolone cheese with two slices of grilled pepperoni slices. Shut the lid and let the cheese melt. After 5 or so minutes, remove the burgers and check to make sure they are done. Place them on a wire rack.
Toast the buns over the hot coals for 60-90 seconds and then assemble the Pizza Burgers.
For the assembly, start off by spreading the garlic mayo to the top and bottom buns, roasted green peppers and red onions, the burger patty that is already topped with its ingredients. Feel free to add another slice of cheese or extra pizza sauce as you please! Enjoy with your friends and family!
The Pizza Burger
- 1 ½ lbs Ground chuck (80/20)
- 1 Green bell pepper chopped
- 1 Red onion chopped
- 1 pack Brioche buns
- 12 slices Provolone cheese
- 12 slices Big deli pepperoni
- salt, pepper, garlic powder for the seasoning
- 1 can Store bought pizza sauce
- 2 tbsp Garlic paste
- ½ cup Mayo
- Start off by making the burger patties and then place them in the fridge for 35-40 minutes.
- Make the garlic mayo sauce and place it to the side.
- Prepare the green peppers and red onions during this time and then add a cast iron over high heat and then cook them down for 8-10 minutes with butter and salt. Remove and place them to the side and keep them warm.
- Season the burger patties with salt, pepper and garlic powder and grill them over direct heat for 6 minutes per side.
- Place a cast iron skillet over the heat source and add the pepperoni slices to cook for 60-90 seconds per side.
- After the first flip, grill for 2 minutes and add pizza sauce, provolone cheese and the crispy pepperoni slices. Shut the lid and grill for 4 more minutes. Remove and place on a wire rack.
- Toast the buns and then add the garlic mayo spread on it, add green peppers and red onions, grilled burger with all of the toppings.
- Enjoy with family and friends!
The pizza burger is a delicious recipe that combines the best of two classic favorites. This dish is perfect for those who can’t decide between pizza and burgers or for those who want to try something new. The pizza burger is really easy to make, and its very customizable so it can suit individual tastes. By using different toppings, seasonings, and cheese, you can create a pizza burger that is truly unique and tailored to your taste.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re having a casual family dinner, a backyard barbecue, or a party with friends, the pizza burger is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.In addition to its delicious taste, the pizza burger is also a great way to get creative in the kitchen. The recipe allows for you to experiment and encourages home cooks to try new ingredients and flavors.
DID YOU ENJOY THIS PIZZA BURGER RECIPE? YOU’LL LOVE MY OTHER BEEF RECIPES IN THE LINK BELOW!
Items used in This Recipe