Poor mans burnt ends are common for people because of the convince of the beef that is used to make them. Here, we use the cut of beef known as the Chuck Roast. This is a great cut of beef that is very affordable, and the beef is perfect because the same concept can be used on it with low N slow as the brisket or pork belly (these are your two favorable proteins for this technique). The purpose is to smoke your Chuck Roast at a low temperature until the internal temp reaches a very high temp. This is important so the tissue can break down and allow the meat to become soft and tender. Let’s get into the full recipe.
Poor Mans Burnt Ends
- 1 8 lb Chuck Roast Trimmed
- 2-4 tbsp Mustard This is your binder
- 1 1/2 cup Your favorite BBQ Sauce
- 3 tbsp Raw Honey
- 6 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Dry mustard
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Onion powder
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Turbinado Sugar
- 1 tbsp Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- Prep all of your ingredients for your bbq. Combine all seasoning for your bbq dry rub (Brown sugar, turbinado sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, dry mustard, salt, pepper and cinnamon).
- Get your smoker set at 250 and bring to temp.
- If your chuck roast is 3 inches thick, or more, cut in half. Make sure your beef is chilled for this because it will be easier for you to cut through.
- Once you have your chuck roast ready apply 2 tablespoons of mustard for a binder on each side. Now season generously on all sides and let it sit for thirty mins before placing it In your smoker.
- Now that you are smoking, check your temp because you are wanting an internal temp of 165 before you pull the roast. Once 165 internal temp hit (around 3-4 hours) get yourself aluminium foil and set your roast in the foil (they each need their own foil wrap). Add 2 tablespoons of butter and wrap. Place back into the smoker until the roast reaches an internal temp of 195 and pull them. Let it rest 15-20 mins and then cube up the roast into 1" cubes. Now set the cubes into an aluminium pan and add 4 tablespoons of butter, 1-1 1/2 cups of bbq sauce and 3 tablespoons of honey. Now you mix and place back into the smoker for around 1 hour, unwrapped. You want your cubes to be around 203 internal.
- Pull the cubes from the pan and mix one more time and then serve.
- Enjoy with family and friends.
If the recipe is not showing up, I have attracted a downloadable PDF with the instructions and ingredients below!