This grilled chicken recipe really brings out all kinds of good techniques and flavors! I challenged myself to break down a whole chicken and then created my own delicious dry rub and homemade chipotle bbq sauce. It did not disappoint and it was some of the best dang chicken I’ve had In a long time! I’ll say no more and we will jump right into the recipe, let’s get to it!
Chicken Dry Rub With Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- 4-5 lb Whole chicken
- 2-3 tbsp Mustard as a binder but is optional
Chicken Dry Rub
- 1 tbsp Coarse kosher salt
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Onion powder
- 2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Coarse black pepper
- 1 tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Cayenne pepper
Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 2-3 tbsp Red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp Honey
- 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1-2 Chipotle chilli add adobo sauce for extra heat
- 2 tbsp Ancho chilli powder
- 3 tbsp Dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp Coarse kosher salt
- Start by breaking down your whole chicken. First remove the wing tips, then the wishbone and the backbone. Now separate the leg/thigh from the breast. This is where you get your quarter legs. Once removed, split the breast right down the middle. You can leave the wings on or remove them. I personally remove them and cook them separately.
- Make sure your chicken is patted dry with a pepper towel, then prep all of your seasoning. Mix your dry rub for the chicken (salt, garlic, onion, paprika, black pepper, cumin and cayenne) in a mixing bowl and mix well. It’s best to use your fingers for this, make sure they are dry.
- Now you can add a layer of duck fat spray as a binder or use mustard. Either way, it will help the seasoning stick to the chicken. Now you season under the skin, top and bottom generously.
- Set your smoker up for 275 and add some mesquite wood chunks. Add the chicken and let the smoker do its thing. Check temp after the first hour and see where you are. At 140 internal temperature you want to get your saucepan warm and have your chipotle bbq sauce ingredients ready.
- When your chicken reaches 140-145 make your sauce by adding all of your ingredients into a medium heat sauce pan. Simmer for 6-8 mins and stir every 30 seconds to make sure it has a good consistency, remove from heat and let cool.
- When the chicken is 150 internal temperature you want to sauce your chicken with a nice coating. Let the sauce set and then remove when the chicken is 165 internal temperature.
- Rest for 5 mins and then serve!
- ENJOY WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS!
EQUIPMENT USED IN THIS RECIPE
For more chicken recipes, click the link below!
What temperature should I cook chicken to?
The safest minimum temperature that you need to cook your chicken to is 165 degrees.
How do I keep my grilled chicken juicy and flavorful?
There are many ways to make grilled chicken juicy and flavorful. It depends on which part of the chicken you’re cooking. For breasts, cook them lower and slower. Also, add a marinade. With breast being less fatty than other parts of the chicken, they tend to seem drier than other parts of the chicken. You can also brine your chicken in saltwater.
What is the juiciest piece of chicken?
The simple answer. Thighs. Boneless skinless thighs are a very lean and juicy source of protein. Cooking them on the grill, smoking them or even in the air fryer. They’re all great.