I am a firm believer that you can’t smoke enough brisket! The only thing that gets in our way is time but when the opportunity presents itself we take advantage of it. The Smoked Brisket Sandwich is first seasoned the Texan way with just salt and pepper. We let the wood do most of the talking to form the bark. We then make a delicious bbq sauce that takes this sandwich to a whole new level! Okay, let’s get to the recipe!
Smoked Brisket Sandwich
- 1 10-12 pound Beef Brisket
- ¼ cup Kosher salt
- ¼ cup Coarse black pepper
- Mustard for binder
- Brioche buns toasted
Homemade BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup Chopped scallions
- 1 1/2 inch piece of ginger chopped
- 6 Cloves of garlic minced
- 2 Jalapeños diced
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Mustard
- 3 tbsp Ketchup
- ¾ cup Brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp Mexican chili powder
- 3 tbsp Avocado Oil
- Start off by trimming your brisket. You want to trim off the hard exterior fat (this will not render down) and the silver skin. Once this is complete, make sure to shape your brisket. This is where some good pieces may be cut off but you can save it with the fat to make beef tallow.
- Now that your brisket is trimmed it is time to season it up. First, apply mustard, about a tablespoon and rub it around the brisket on the top and bottom (a tablespoon per side).
- Season your brisket with salt and pepper on all the surface area.
- At this point get your smoker set to 250 degrees, you can also go 225 if you have more time. Once the temp is steadily riding 250 add a few chunks of hickory wood chunks and place a drip pan underneath with 4 cups of water. Set your brisket on the grates and close the lid.
- Check-in every 30 mins to make sure your temp is staying steady at 250ish. Do not open the lid until the 2-hour mark. At this time open the lid and spritz with apple cider vinegar. Spritz every 45-60 mins until your brisket is reading 165 internal. This is typically in the 6-hour window.
- At 165 internal remove your brisket and wrap it in butchers paper but first spritz your butchers paper with apple cider vinegar. Once wrapped, place it back on the smoker and keep the temp at 250 degrees.
- Remove the brisket at 203 internal temperature or probe tender and place it in a cooler for resting. Very important to keep it wrapped during this process. Wait 2 1/2-3 hours for resting. During the resting period make your bbq sauce.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat and add avocado oil, scallions, garlic, ginger, jalapeño and garlic. Let that simmer for 20-25 mins. Make sure to stir every min or so to keep it from burning on one side. Now add your tomato paste, ketchup, mustard, honey, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and Mexican chili paste. Let it simmer for 6-8 mins and remove to cool. Once cooled you can blend it, this is optional because I like my chunky ingredients in my sauce (at times).
- After the 3 hour rest, remove the brisket from the butcher's paper and slice your brisket into 1/4” strips. Toast the buns and assemble the Smoked Brisket Sandwich.
- BBQ sauce on the bottom bun, load the brisket and then BBQ sauce on top.
- Your sandwich is complete!
- Serve and enjoy with family and friends!
Did you enjoy this Smoked Brisket recipe? You should check out my other beef recipes in the link below!
Items used in This Recipe
Leave a Reply