Birria Tacos are the most flavorful and delicious tacos on planet earth! They may be time-consuming but let me tell you something, WELL WORTH IT! I want to share my recipe that literally had my guest in a real-life food coma. I used short ribs and made some dynamite consommé. Let’s get to the recipe!
Beef Rib Quesabirria Tacos
- 3 Bone-in beef short ribs
- 4½ cups Water
- 1½ cups Beef broth
- 1 10 inch carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 Whole onion
- 6-8 cloves Garlic
- 3 Chipotle peppers from the can
- 1-2 tbsp the adobo from the can (your preference)
- 1 10 inch piece of celery chopped
- 8 Guajillo peppers
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp Dried oregano
- 2 tsp Dried basil
- 2 Turkish bay leaves
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 cup Oaxaca cheese
- 1 Pack of white corn tortillas
- 1 cup Cilantro
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 Lime
- Prepare all of your ingredients in advance.
- Start off by getting a bed of coals ready, don’t make a huge bed of coals, just enough to keep your dutch oven simmering. Have another area where you have burning coals so you can constantly feed your bed of coals under the dutch oven when needed.
- Now we build our consommé by adding water and beef broth in your dutch oven. Bring to a light simmer and then add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, chipotle peppers, adobo from the can, guajillo peppers, kosher salt, dried oregano, dried basil, cumin and Turkish by leaves. Stir for 30 seconds or so and close the lid. At this time add 3-4 hot coals on top of the lid.
- Let it simmer for about 60 mins. At this time fish out all of the solids and place them in a separate bowl to cool for 8-10 mins. Once cooled place in a food processor with a cup of the consommé liquids. Once it is blended, pour it all back into the dutch oven. Check the coals and make sure you are set for a nice long simmer.
- Add 3 bone-in beef ribs to the dutch oven and let simmer for 3 hours, or probe tender where it's shreddable. Also before you close the lid with the beef ribs in, make sure to check your liquid level and add a cup of beef broth if needed.
- Once the 3 hours is up, or the beef is probe tender and shreddable, remove the beef ribs and let rest in aluminum foil for 30 mins. During this time set the dutch oven with your consommé to the side.
- Shred the beef rib and then chop it up with a cleaver. Get a flat cast iron cooking surface and add a tablespoon or two of cooking oil and sear off your shredded beef rib. About 4 total mins and then place back in the pan.
- Time to make the Quesabirria tacos. Clean the flat cast iron surface and add another tablespoon of cooking oil, if needed, and dip your corn tortillas into the consommé liquid and place on the flat griddle. As soon as you place them on the hot flat surface add the Oaxaca cheese and shredded beef rib to each tortilla. Close them and then flip them until they are nice and crisp.
- Repeat this process until they are all made. Now get your Consommé in a dipping bowl for serving.
- Once the quesabirria tacos are made add some diced white onion, chopped cilantro and lime juice to them.
- Dip in the Consommé and devour it!
Items Used In This Recipe
For more beef recipes, click the link below!
Leave a Reply