This is not your average bologna sandwich, even though those are pretty good. This recipe will take some time but it’s well worth the work. The best time to make it is right after you smoke a pork butt, it’s a great way to utilize the leftovers. I am not even going to lie, The Ultimate Smoked Bologna Sandwich is one of the best sandwiches I have ever made!
The Ultimate Bologna Sandwich
Pulled Pork Ingredients
- 1 8 lb Pork butt
- Mustard as a binder
- Your favorite BBQ rub! Mine is here -----> https://amzn.to/3nre72i
Other Sandwich Ingredients
- 1-2 tbsp Your favorite bbq sauce
- Sandwich sliced thin pickles
- American cheese
- Oaxaca cheese
- Brioche sandwich bread
- 4 strips Crispy bacon
- Start off by prepping your pork butt and patting it dry. Apply mustard on the whole surface area and then season generously with your favorite pork rub.
- Smoke the pork butt at 250 degrees for 10-12 hours (I typically like to do this overnight). Spritz every 45 mins after 2 hours with apple cider vinegar.
- Wrap at 165 with foil and add 2 cups of water and 1 cup of beef broth. Add back in the smoker. Remove when the pork butt is probe tender and then rest in the cooler for 2 hours.
- When the pork butt is finished you can store it for later and use some for this epic Bologna Sandwich.
- Get a whole roll of bologna and score it vertically and horizontally. Spray with duck fat spray and then season generously with your favorite pork rub.
- Smoke the bologna for 2 hours at 275 degrees.
- Remove from the smoker and then slice into 1/4” slices.
- Get a cast iron over medium heat and fry up some bacon. Set it to the side when it's done.
- Toast your bread.
- Add the pulled pork to the cast iron and crisp it. Add the Oaxaca cheese and mix well. Place in the bowl to the side when done.
- Fry 2 slices of smoked bologna for 60-90 seconds per side. After the first flip, add American cheese and let it melt.
- Assemble The Ultimate Bologna Sandwich in this order, Pickles, Fried Bologna slice, Pulled Pork, Drizzle some bbq sauce, Add bacon and then top with another fried bologna slice.
- It’s complete and enjoy!
Did you love this smoked bologna recipe? Check out all my other recipes here—–> Recipes
Items used in this recipe