Surf N Turf can be created in a variety of ways, for example; Ribeye and lobster, NY Strip and lobster, Ribeye and shrimp or even Filet and scallops. All the combos are delicious and for this Surf N Turf combo I went with ribeye and shrimp.
The shrimp was cooked in an amazing honey and garlic sauce that had my wife speechless!
For this cook, it is quite simple. The process was doing a reverse sear on my ribeye steak and while my steak was resting for 6-8 minutes I cooked up my shrimp.
The shrimp took a total of 3ish mins and was nice and warm still for the time of slicing up my ribeye. Okay, let’s jump into the recipe!
Honey Garlic Surf N Turf
- Thick and delicious ribeye steak (bone-in or boneless)
- ½ lb Large shrimp deveined
- Salt for seasoning on the steak
- Neutral oil for binder
Shrimp Dry Rub
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp Chili powder
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- 1 tbsp Cooking oil
Honey Garlic Garlic
- ½ cup Soy
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Sesame oil
- 1 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves Minced garlic
- Start off by making sure your ribeye is room temp. Leave out for about 45 mins and then apply cooking oil as a binder to the ribeye. Now season generously with kosher salt.
- While the steak is seasoned with salt, fire up your smoker and set the temp to 250 degrees. I typically love using my charcoal smoker with a few chunks of hickory wood. When the temp hits 250 degrees add the steak for smoking. You are looking for an internal temperature of 115 degrees.
- When your steak reaches an internal temp of 115 degrees, remove and place it on a wire rack with a baking sheet underneath. Set your grill up for searing by removing your deflector plate and adding some charcoal (if needed). Make sure you are cooking over hot active coals for best results.
- At this time add your shrimp (be sure to have it deveined at this time) to a mixing bowl and add the smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper with cooking oil. Hand mix until it is seasoned nicely.
- 5-8 mins after you set your grill up for searing, check it and make sure it's at searing temperatures (500-600 degrees is good). Add your steak over the direct coal and sear for 60-90 seconds per side and remove. Place back on the wire rack (this is a time where you could add some butter and let it melt onto the steak while resting, yummy) and let rest for 8-10 minutes.
- Add a cast iron skillet over the coals and let heat up for about 5-6 mins. Add the soy sauce, honey, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, sweet chili sauce, red pepper flakes and minced garlic. Be sure to stir and then add the shrimp. Let cook for 60-90 seconds and then flip them, cook an additional 60-90 seconds and then toss them in the skillet and remove.
- Slice into your juicy steak and plate. Serve with the shrimp and any other sides you enjoy!
Surf n turf is a classic dish that can be made even more delicious by adding this honey garlic sauce. This recipe is simple and easy to follow, and the results are sure to impress your guests. So why not give it a try?
Impress your friends and family with this delicious honey garlic surf n turf tonight!
Did you enjoy this honey garlic surf n turf recipe? You’ll love my other beef recipes in the link below!
Items used in This Recipe