Get ready for one of the best fried chicken sandwiches you will ever make! This Hot Honey Fried Chicken checks every box on the list of deliciousness with how tender, juicy and flavorful it is. All you need are a few simple ingredients and you are eating well!
I’ve done a lot of fried chicken recipes, like Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwich and a Beer Battered Fried Chicken, which are both amazing, but this recipe for Hot Honey Fried Chicken is by far the best to me. It starts with a buttermilk brine, did I mention we are using the tastiest piece of chicken “boneless thighs”, that lasts for a few hours and then we do a double breading. The double breading is best for the thick crunchy fried pieces of chicken we craze for. Okay, I just want to share the recipe, let’s get into it!
Hot Honey Fried Chicken Sandwich
- 1 Pack of boneless chicken thighs (I even went skinless)
- My buddies smoked buffalo seasoning Hint: It's Spanglish Asadero
- 1 Pack of brioche buns
- Pickles Use your favorite kind
- Peanut or canola oil for frying
- Colby Jack Cheese
- 3-4 cups Buttermilk (depends on how much chicken you use)
- 3 tbsp Korean chili flakes
- 2 cup All-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp Smoked buffalo seasoning
- 2 tbsp Garlic powder
- 2 tbsp Seasoned salt
- 1 tbsp Black pepper
- 1 tbsp Korean chili flakes
- 3 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1 cup Honey
- ½ cup Hot Sauce
- ¼ cup Syrup
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- Start off by patting dry your chicken thighs and seasoning them with smoked buffalo seasoning (or your favorite chicken seasoning, be sure to make sure it has some heat to it), season generously.
- Add your buttermilk into a large mixing bowl and add the Korean chili flakes. Whisk and add the chicken thighs. You can marinate for 2 hours or 24 hours.
- When the time expires (the marinating time) add your peanut oil into a frying pan and get the oil to 325 degrees.
- Get a saucepan over medium heat and make your hot honey sauce. Add the butter and let it melt, add the honey, hot sauce, syrup and garlic paste. Whisk and let simmer for 6-8 mins. Now place the setting on low to keep warm.
- Create the breading mixture. Add the all-purpose flour with smoked buffalo seasoning, garlic powder, seasoned salt, black pepper and Korean chili flakes. Whisk until it’s nicely combined.
- When the oil is 325 degrees begin to bread your chicken. Do it in this order, remove the chicken from the buttermilk (just lift it out and let it drip for 10 seconds) and add it to the flour combination. Use your dry hand to coat the chicken thoroughly and then add it back to the buttermilk, dunk it and mix for a few seconds and then add it back to the flour mixture. Be sure to press the flour mixture onto the chicken to make sure it’s coated nicely. Now it is ready for frying, repeat this step for all of your chicken (place the floured chicken on a sheet pan until it’s ready for frying, do not wait too long).
- Add 2-3 pieces of chicken into the frying oil and fry for 4 minutes. Remove and let cool for a few minutes and then place it back in for a double fry. Fry for an additional 2 1/2 – 3 minutes (I like to get my chicken thighs to 175 internal temp).
- Once they are fried, add them to the hot honey sauce and coat them generously. Now place on a wire rack and add the Colby cheese. You can melt it with a torch or under a broiler.
- Toast your buns and assemble.
- Assemble with mayo on the top and bottom buns, add a layer of pickles on the bottom bun and then the Hot Honey Chicken Thigh.
- Enjoy with friends and family!
Did you enjoy this hot honey fried chicken recipe, click the link below!
Items used in this recipe
Leave a Reply