The Half Pound Pimento Juicy Lucy came to mind one evening while I was snacking on some Pimento cheese with crackers. It’s so dang good and I have seen it served on top of burgers before, sorta like a spread and I just made a Juicy Lucy the day prior. I instantly laughed in my head and put this whole meal together in my mind within seconds. It was one of the best foodie moments I have ever had. The next day came upon me and I instantly got to work.
What is Pimento Cheese? Well, it’s a classic southern dish that is commonly used as a spread made with cheese, mayonnaise and pimentos. Depending on where you are from is how creative you can get by adding vinegar, heat elements and types of cheddars.
Now that we are caught up on what Pimento Cheese is, one might think about what a Juicy Lucy is? A Juicy Lucy is a stuffed burger with cheese inside the meat, typically between two patties formed into one while raw. During the cooking process the cheese gets melted in a way that explodes with the first bite! It’s quite satisfying. Okay, let’s jump into my version of a Pimento Juicy Lucy!
Half Pound Pimento Juicy Lucy
- 2 lbs Ground Chuck (80/20)
- Salt to taste for burger seasoning
- Pepper to taste for burger seasoning
- 1 Pack of brioche buns
- 8 slices American cheese
- Hamburger pickles
- 1 lb Hickory thick cut bacon any bacon will work
- 1 Block of cream cheese softened
- 1 cup Sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup Gouda cheese
- ¾ cup mayo
- 2 tbsp Pimentos diced
- 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Franks red hot sauce
- 3 oz Green hatch chilies
- Start off by prepping your Pimento cheese by adding cream cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, gouda cheese, mayo, pimentos, apple cider vinegar, hot sauce and green hatch chilis into a mixing bowl. Now hand mix for a few minutes until you get a good consistency. Place in the fridge if needed.
- Roll your half-pound beef balls and then smash them with a burger press https://amzn.to/3xmbs0e and season with salt and pepper.
- Add a tablespoon of the Pimento cheese (or a little more) to half of your flattened patties and then take the patties without the pimento cheese and place them directly on top of the ones that do. Now seal the edges and form into a big burger.
- Fire up your grill and get it ready for direct grilling. While the grill is getting ready you can crisp your bacon inside and get it ready.
- When the coals are hot, place the juicy Lucy’s on for direct grilling. Grill for 5-6 mins (turning 90 degrees halfway) and flip to repeat the same process. At this time place the burgers on a top rack (for indirect cooking). When the internal burger temp reaches 160ish add the bacon and top with two slices of the American cheese. Let it sit until the cheese is nicely melted on the top rack.
- Toast some buns and assemble. Start with pickles on the bottom bun, the Juicy Lucy (the burger should have the bacon on top with the cheese melted onto it) and it is complete.
- Serve and enjoy with family and friends!
So, there you have it! Our juicy Lucy recipe. We hope you give it a try and enjoy it as much as we do. If you have any questions or comments about the recipe, please feel free to leave them in the comment section below.
Did you love this Half pound Pimento Juicy Lucy? Well you’ll love my other beef recipes! Check them out in the link below!
Items used In This Recipe
Leave a Reply