Anytime I have braised beef I end up eating too much! One reason is because it’s the most tender and flavorful meat that you can make in a variety of ways. For example, Shredded Beef Tacos, Mississippi Pot Roast or this amazing beer braised beef sandwich recipe.
I know the braising technique is common in the winter months, but let’s be honest the food that is created from this technique is just way too good to only make during the colder months. A few ways you can make this awesome meal is on a smoker, inside on the stovetop or in the oven. Regardless of how you get it done, your hard work will be rewarded with a bunch of happy full bellies.
For this recipe I like to season my chuck roast generously with my favorite beef rub and then smoke it for about 3 hours to build a nice deep rich bark. From here, I’ll add all of my ingredients into my Dutch Oven and use them as a base for my Chuck Roast to sit on. At this point I’ll add in my Fosters beer, Worcestershire sauce and beef stock. Now, add it back onto the smoker and it’s just a matter of time before your beef is tender and shreddable.
Okay, I am starving after writing this! Let’s get into the recipe!
Beer Braised Beef Sandwiches
- 1 2 pound chuck roast
- French bread
- Jack cheese shredded
- 1 Large can of Fosters beer about 12 ounces
- 1 Beef broth
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ White onions
- 1 cup Pickled Jalapeños
- 2 Chipotles from the can
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp Adobo from the can
- 1 tbsp Chili lime seasoning
- 1 tbsp Garlic powder
Pico De Gallo
- 2 Roma tomatoes cored
- ¼ White onion diced
- ½ Jalapeño diced
- ½ cup Cilantro chopped
- Salt to taste
- ½ tbsp Mayo
- 2 tbsp Garlic paste
- 2 tsp White vinegar
- 2 tsp Adobo sauce from the can
- 1 tsp Pepper
1. Start off with your chuck roast at room temperature and pat it dry with a paper towel. From here, apply mustard (or hot sauce) as a binder and coast the whole surface area of the beef. Now season with your favorite beef seasoning (I like to use Favor Daves), be sure to season generously.
2.Fire up the smoker and set the temp to 250 degrees, once the smoker reaches 250 degrees add a few hickory wood chunks for a nice bold smokey flavor. Place the chuck roast on the smoker and let smoke for about 3 total hours, enough to give it a deep rich bark.
3. Make your garlic mayo. Add the mayo, garlic, adobo sauce, pepper and vinegar into a small glass bowl and mix. Place in the fridge until needed.
4. When the 3 hours expires be sure to have all of your ingredients ready for the Dutch Oven. Add in the onion, pickled jalapeños, chipotles, adobo from the can, Italian seasoning, chili lime seasoning and garlic powder. Add the chuck roast on top of these ingredients and then pour in the Fosters Beer, Worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Place on the smoker and keep the temp in the range of 250 – 275 degrees for braising.
5. At this time make your Pico De Galo by adding the chopped tomato, white onion, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice and salt into a medium mixing bowl. Use a fork to combine the ingredients and place it in the fridge.
6. Check the chuck roast after 2-3 hours and see how tender it is and check to see if any liquids need to be added, if so, I like to add water.
7. Typically around the 4 hour mark is when the chuck roast is at a point where it is shreddable (depending on the size of the roast) and I like to remove it from the dutch oven into an aluminum pan and shred it, covering with aluminum foil to keep warm. Form here, get a strainer out and strain the solids to separate from the liquids. Add the liquid back into the dutch oven and add the shredded beef. Keep the lid on to keep warm.
8. Cut the bread and toast the bread and then spread the garlic mayo on both, top and bottom. Fill with the shredded beef that’s absorbed all of the juices from the dutch oven, top with jack cheese and melt the cheese. You can do this with a broiler or torch. When the cheese is nice and melted, add the pico on top and it is complete!
9. Serve and enjoy with friends and family!
Items used in This Recipe
Leave a Reply