Chimichurri is definitely my favorite sauce for a steak. There are plenty of creations for sauces with steak but I would rather have my steak with just salt and pepper. Typically, with a quality cut of beef, this is all you need for seasoning because the flavor of beef steals the show.
There is something about the Argentinian sauce that elevates the flavor of beef. It consists of parsley, cilantro, shallots, garlic, olive oil and vinegar finished with salt to bring the best out of these flavors. There are many variations of Chimichurri and they all have been tasty but the one I made for the steak sandwich was perfect in all its ways.
This delicious Chimichurri steak sandwich is made with skirt steak, that I gave a lemon garlic marinade for 4 hours. From here, it went on the grill for a quick 6-8 minute cook and an 8-10 minute rest. Once the steaks were resting, I placed some cheese on the griddle and created some cheese blankets for my top and bottom buns.
Okay, let’s jump into cooking!
Chimichurri Steak Sandwich with a Cheese Blanket
- 1 Outside Skirt steak
- 1 pack French baguette
- 1 pack Queso quesadilla cheese
- ½ White onion diced
- ½ Jalapeño
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1 Orange juiced
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 2 tsp Chili powder
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- ½ cup Cilantro chopped
- 1 bunch Parsley
- 1 bunch Cilantro chopped
- 3 tbsp Oregano chopped
- 3 tbsp Chopped scallions
- 1 Shallot diced
- ½ Jalapeño diced
- 1 cup Olive oil
- ½ cup Red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp Red pepper flakes
- Start off by prepping all of your ingredients for the Chimichurri and the marinade. In a medium-sized bowl place your skirt steak in it. Now add the dry seasoning: Chili powder, black pepper and salt. Follow this up with lemon juice, garlic, orange juice, onion, jalapeños and cilantro. Hand toss to make sure the marinade covers the beef. Place in the fridge for 4 hours.
- Now add all of your ingredients for the Chimichurri into a separate bowl. Parsley, cilantro, oregano, scallions, shallots, garlic, jalapeño, olive oil, red wine vinegar, kosher salt and red pepper flakes. Whisk with a fork and place in the fridge. Let it sit for 2-4 hours, this lets the flavors marry together.
- After the four hours passes remove the meat from the fridge and fire up your grill. I had a griddle for this cook with my surface temp of 450 degrees. I grilled my steaks for 2 minutes and flipped, grilled another 2 minutes, flip and grill for 1 minute and flip for a final 1 minute. Remove the steak from the griddle and rest for 8-10 minutes.
- While the meat is resting, cut your buns in half and apply some butter. Place them on the griddle to toast for 1 – 1 1/2 minutes. Now cool the griddle to 350 degrees and add the shredded cheese in the form of the buns. Let the cheese crisp and melt. Now add the buns to the cheese blankets and let them sit for 30 seconds. Remove them from the griddle.
- Slice the steak against the grain to fit your sandwich. Add the Chimichurri to the bottom bun, and add the sliced steak and more chimichurri. Add the top bun and it is complete.
- Enjoy with family and friends!
DID YOU ENJOY THIS CHIMICHURRI RECIPE? YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT MY OTHER BEEF RECIPES IN THE LINK BELOW!
Items used in This Recipe